By Anonymous - 23/12/2010 07:42 - United States

Today, a group of carolers was coming up my street, so I went out in the cold to wait for them. When they finally arrived, I waved and greeted them. They huddled up discussing something while pointing at me, then skipped my house. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 283
You deserved it 4 913

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You were to eager give them some space huh...

KingDingALing 9

Now start throwing rotten food at them like the old guy did on 1000 Ways to Die.

Comments

You were to eager give them some space huh...

I think so. It's like when the various religious people come to your daughter soliciting souls. If you welcome them in and try to have a frank dialogue about God and religions, they get freaked out and leave. Apparently where OP lives, standing around waiting for carolers is suspicious activity.

I meant to type door but I somehow like daughter better.

Weird, I like daughters better than doors, too.

jckbco 0

exactly, on the conversing... most religious people, especially ones who come to your door, just want to have you believe exactly as they do!

Haha OP try not to be so scary next time lol. Also, were** Good day, sir.

No, I'm quite certain it should be were. "He was", "They were".

No... The mod is right. *A* group—singular—*was*.

I don't even understand half of that lol, but OP said "carolers", so I'm assuming that's what changes it. If OP said group instead of carolers, then it could be "was". I still think it's supposed to be "were".

The subject is still the group. If it had just said "Some carolers," the verb would, indeed, be "were." :S

Nope, "a group" is considered the subject here.

Hmm okay then. Guess that's why I don't get A's in english lol.

Bee_fml 2

I'm going to ball bust and say that the correct word is, indeed, "were" :-)

Ironic. It actually says "were" now and I was going to make a similar remark about how it should be "was".

Bee_fml 2

I retract my previous statement. Alan is right.

ohthebloodygore 16

What?! It's were, right? Stop changing it, mods!

Aww Bee, you suck. I thought someone was on my side. :(

so what happened to good ol comments about the fml and not blabbering on about correct ******* grammar, spelling and gay shit that has nothing to do with the ******* topic.. get a ******* clue and stop trying to act like you're no. 1 forum *****.

Alan's mum is quite correct. Please do leave it as "was".

where's docbastard when you need him, he'd know

iIixoxiIi 0
iIixoxiIi 0

^ it would also explain the FML if you leave the "of carolers" out. Today, a group was coming up my street, so I went out in the cold to wait for them. When they finally arrived, I waved and greeted them. They huddled up discussing something while pointing at me, then skipped my house. FML

Jezzibell, thanks for the vote of confidence, but pendatik has already settled the issue. The singular noun "group" is the subject of the sentence, and therefore the singular "was" is appropriate. Anything that comes after "of" is irrelevant and does not change the verbiage.

Don't you learn this stuff in elementary school?

iliveinthesky_fml 0

Alan's right. My class discussed this last. semester

I can't believe that argument really just happened...worse I read through the entire thing...FML.

Stick around, DeathBat. You will see stuff here that will make your hair boil and your blood curl. Wait, no...reverse that.

8- Normally when you quote, you not only put quotations, which you did, but normally you'd also state where it came from.

No, it would be was, because they're taking about the group, not just the carolers.

KingDingALing 9

Now start throwing rotten food at them like the old guy did on 1000 Ways to Die.

prontopup20 0

yeah then get hit on the head by some really thick hail

XxAngel77xX 0

Looks like you got off lucky. The "carolers" in your area, were actually theives according to my FBI intel. They would sing and distract you, which in turn, would corrupt your mind. In about a weeks time, you would go insane, and commit suicide. Thus, leaving your hone vunerable to a burglary. Do NOT open doors for carolers kids.

iknowimawesome 13

Why did you have to wait outside? You could've stayed inside and then when the carolers got to your house, you could have gone outside. That probably would've freaked them out less. Don't you think?

mgt90 0

53: Both! Then they all would have had a merry good time!

53: I finished the sentence for #30. And yes, I agree. Both! ;D