This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By TipYourWaitress - 31/12/2018 18:00

Today, a customer of mine at the restaurant I work at decided not to tip me, instead opting I "keep the change". That was nice of him, but I don't think he realizes it doesn't work that way. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 215
You deserved it 262

Top comments

Is he paying with a card? That’s the only way I see this being accurate.

Maybe he was a tourist? In my country, offering to "keep the change" is the normal way of tipping.

Comments

I'm not American so I think tipping is ridiculous but couldn't you just use the change as your tip? like pretend you have it back to him and then he gave you it as a tip if you have to

TrippyEyes 16

I'm pretty sure the reason they don't tip outside of America is there's either auto gratuity (higher food price but part goes to the waiter) or just a higher hourly pay. But the idea of tipping is to make sure you get good service cause you control how much they get paid.

we pay our servers like 3$ an hour so they really entirely on tips to make money

The rate you get paid as a server depends entirely on the restaurant. I got paid $8 an hour plus split tips. So that’s BS

Maybe he was a tourist? In my country, offering to "keep the change" is the normal way of tipping.

Also in my country (Austria) this is the normal way.

I am American. Does it not work that way? Honest question. Occasionally I'll do something like go to Starbucks, order a single drink, pay with a 20, and say to keep it.

The only way I can make sense of this would be if the change was absurdly small for a tip. E.g., if the tab was $14.95 and he gave you $15 and told you to keep the change, that would be essentially no tip at all. If that's what happened, you might get more sympathy by mentioning that the change was only five cents.

What? It works exactly like that. You keep the change - it's your tip.

Is he paying with a card? That’s the only way I see this being accurate.

When someone says keep the change, they're trying to save you the effort of getting the money and bringing it to them. They're basically saying put it in your pocket or log it(however your restaurant tracks cash tips) at the register instead of bringing it back to them, just so they can give it right back to you. Don't see how that doesn't work.

SPG 7

People are dumbasses, keep the change is just a nice way to say **** you.

You forgot to mention where your work so all the dumbasses here can tell you to "not keep the change" in the future.

bl3ur0z3 17

Actually, that's exactly how it works. Whether the change is 5 cents or 50 dollars, it's what he's offering as a tip.