By Anonymous - 11/10/2016 05:17 - United States

Today, after months of arguing and conflict, I broke up wIth my fiancé. Or at least, I tried to. The wedding's off, but only until he can convince me to want to marry him again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 375
You deserved it 2 381

Same thing different taste

Top comments

crazy_bananas 31

I'm sorry, what? We need more than this OP.

If I'm taking this in right, you broke up with your fiancé and he can somehow manipulate or convince you to get back with him. If this is the case, it might just be best to try and ignore him. If you're not happy in the relationship and you would rather be out of it, then you don't have to be with him. Staying in a relationship that you don't want to be in can be harmful emotionally.

Comments

crazy_bananas 31

I'm sorry, what? We need more than this OP.

What does he mean by that? If the wedding is off, can't you just ignore him?

If I'm taking this in right, you broke up with your fiancé and he can somehow manipulate or convince you to get back with him. If this is the case, it might just be best to try and ignore him. If you're not happy in the relationship and you would rather be out of it, then you don't have to be with him. Staying in a relationship that you don't want to be in can be harmful emotionally.

melana09 19

If you're unhappy then you need to make it clear and break it off. Life is too short to be unhappy.

if you really feel like you're being short-changed in this relationship, end it swiftly and cut off all methods of communication with him. this won't be your only relationship. however, if you think this is due to some miscommunication, get a mutual friend to help out with the situation?

make up your mind, OP. If there is no way for you two to reconcile your differences , and you really feel that the wedding is cancelled and your relationship is over Then make that clear. Don't leave him hanging on a thin hope that you'll change your mind, or that he can manipulate you to go through with it by refusing to cancel the wedding and services booked. Don't just try. Make it clear, otherwise you're just leading him on.

The way I'm taking it is, OP did break it off, completely, but he isn't ready to give up yet and/or he's being stubborn. He believes he can change her mind, show her he truely does love her and wants to be with her.. Kinda like in the movies.. But this isn't a movie, this is real life. If she truely is unhappy, and wants to leave him, then he should let her. That's just my take on it, what it sounds like to me.. I could be completely wrong though. (Also sorry if I'm wrong about OP being a she, thats just what I'm assuming)

Goblin182 26

Is this by mutual consent or is he that possessive?

If that's what the relationship is like already, what makes you think it'll be any different in marriage? It won't. Marriage doesn't change people; you're still the exact same people, and you'll carry into marriage the exact same problems you have now. If that's how it is, don't go back. It'll only end in divorce. A wedding is not a miracle cure for a bad relationship.

Exactly. You hit the nail right on the head, #8. Too many couples these days seem to think getting married will solve all their problems. They don't realize that once the "honeymoon phase" wears off, they'll be right back where they started. The best thing for OP in this situation would be to just let it go. It can be hard to let go of a relationship, and I think anyone here who's had a breakup knows that. I went through some real hardship when I broke up with my last boyfriend. Part of me wanted to take it all back, to tell him it was okay and that I still loved him. But the rest of me knew that if I did that, the issues that made me leave him to begin with would be waiting for me. I decided it wasn't worth it. Seriously, OP. I know it hurts. I know it can seem like letting him "fix" things might make it better, but it won't.

Go ahead and marry him. You'll have the typical shitty American marriage. Welcome to the club. It's a huge ******* club.