By Stevejobs - 26/11/2018 17:30

Today, after realizing I had 130 unused vacation hours, I requested two weeks off. My vacation time was denied, but my boss still gave me the time off. So I don't have work for 2 weeks, all unpaid. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 104
You deserved it 201

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Um...130 hours is over 3 weeks vacation. You don't work 24 hours a day..... Vacation is based on the hours you work a week. Usually 40. And OP file a complaint with HR. You are entitled to your paid vacation.

Trevor Bristle 22

*sings* HR, HR, take that shit to HR!!!!

Comments

How do you not know when you've accumulated 130 hours of vacation time? And how have you managed to get two weeks off, when 130 hours doesn't even make 5 1/2 days? Speak to your boss about your entitlement to paid vacation time.

Um...130 hours is over 3 weeks vacation. You don't work 24 hours a day..... Vacation is based on the hours you work a week. Usually 40. And OP file a complaint with HR. You are entitled to your paid vacation.

PenguinPal3017 19

By not checking? My vacation hours are on a webpage, if I don't check it I wouldn't know. I check all the time though, I have over 150 hours, which is 4 weeks (7.5 hour long days). What is messed up here is they aren't letting him use his vacation time.

onceuponatime456 16

Seriously? There is only 8 hours in a work day!

chessu 21

Are you a troll? While I also don't understand how the OP is so unaware of their leave, you do have to check it online in most work places to see how much you've got. Most people track it a bit better, though. Secondly, you book of your paid hours!? Usually 40/37.5 x 5, so for two weeks the OP would need max of 80h. I work a shift pattern and could get two weeks off with 70h of leave. Thirdly, OP there is absolutely no way this is legal.

rcrumbak 9

what are you talking about? a normal work week is 40 hours... so this person has over 3 weeks of paid vacation available to them ... Math, it's just not for everyone.

shredshogun 4
rjdr 7

Based on this comment, it is very obvious that you are 13 years old.

lastjedi 3

well for starters 130 hours figuring a standard 8 hr day is 16.25 days off. so for him to take off 2 weeks figuring a 5 day work week he'd only burn 80 of that 130 hrs. Math and payroll isn't your strong suit is it?

DraftHail614 17

Damn dude. Usually I like your comments, but now you're the idiot.

Trevor Bristle 22

*sings* HR, HR, take that shit to HR!!!!

It’s cute you think that HR helps workers. That’s exactly what “they” want you to think.

I’m guessing you’re not the real Steve Jobs. He WAS the boss and if he wanted to do something, he’d goddam go and do it!

In that week off, send a report to hr and look for a new job so you can drop that place without warning if it comes to it

Go straight to a labor attorney. Employers have some latitude to deny vacation requests if, for example, it’s essential to have you working. However, they aren’t allowed to approve a leave and not pay you time you’ve earned.

Depending on company structure I feel this is mostly a YDI if you go through with it. They can't force you to take unpaid leave unless you're actually suspended from work duties... which you'd know.

Doug Ggg 3

Why did you take the time off then? You could have asked for another time period. It seems like this was last minute, and maybe others had time booked off at the same time. It's not that hard.