This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

Doesn't stop some people getting shitfaced

By Ann - 31/01/2017 13:00 - Latvia - Riga

Today, I decided to abstain from alcohol for good. Later that evening, while out with friends, I ordered a Virgin Mojito at a bar, to which the hot bartender replied, "C'mon... seriously?!" Told him I'm pregnant. I'm not. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 412
You deserved it 1 055

Top comments

I don't see the FML here, you made an adult decision of which many people couldn't or wouldn't. You don't need alcohol to have a good time. Good on you OP. Disclaimer: I am not in any way against the consumption of alcohol but I know what it's like to live with someone who drinks too much.

xoxoblondee 31

I would have just said "yes, really." or "you must be familiar with virgins judging by that attitude"

Comments

I don't see the FML here, you made an adult decision of which many people couldn't or wouldn't. You don't need alcohol to have a good time. Good on you OP. Disclaimer: I am not in any way against the consumption of alcohol but I know what it's like to live with someone who drinks too much.

xoxoblondee 31

I would have just said "yes, really." or "you must be familiar with virgins judging by that attitude"

Kaalschneid 21

...I feel this comment would be better if it was more directly, yet still subtly, calling the bartender a virgin. Which, OP said he was hot, so it kinda seemed "I told him I'm pregnant, but wanted him" vs "I quit drinking recently." Which, if he couldn't be adult enough about your decision, he'd be pretty immature, and probably not too smart of a pursuit, but to each their own.

Kaalschneid 21

...I feel this comment would be better if it was more directly, yet still subtly, calling the bartender a virgin. Which, OP said he was hot, so it kinda seemed "I told him I'm pregnant, but wanted him" vs "I quit drinking recently." Which, if he couldn't be adult enough about your decision, he'd be pretty immature, and probably not too smart of a pursuit, but to each their own.

If people ask me why I don't drink alcohol, I usually say I'm driving that night. People generally understand that better than "I don't like most types of alcohol".

neuronerd 28

Bartenders typically hate making mojitos, so it may have been more that you ordered something complicated than that you weren't drinking, or that going through that work for a virgin drink seemed off putting to him. That said, he's a bartender, and if the bar serves mojitos, it's his job to make them, and he shouldn't have said anything. I just hope you tipped accordingly for the complexity of the drink.

neuronerd 28

Another possibility, he didn't get how drinking sugar water with mint would seem palatable. The rum typically cuts the sweetness a bit. He could have just thought your drink order seemed gross.

That's also what I was thinking. Also, in some more pretentious circles mojitos are getting a bit of a reputation for being 'mainstream' - like cosmopolitan when Sex and the City was on. If it was a posh bar with many special cocktails, he could have considered OP 'boring' - because of 'mojito', not because of 'virgin'.

Momo8612 9

I see no point in lying. You don't have to explain your actions to anyone, much less to a complete stranger that's trying to guilt trip you.

I don't expect everyone to understand but as a bartender myself, I can vouch that mojitos are one of the top 10 drinks hated by bartenders to make. And since there's no alcohol in it, means that most can only charge the price they would for a soda. Don't take it personal, OP the bartender couldn't care less whether you were drinking or not, he just cared about how much work he had to do to get your 30 cent tip.

I don't understand the issue with making a mojito? I'd think it'd take less time than a lot of drinks to make? If mint and lime are in the garnish tray, it shouldn't take long at all. I usually try to keep it under 3 ingredients when ordering at a bar but I've seen people come in and order the weirdest things with like 10 different things in it and that can take forever to mix.

neuronerd 28

The mint is muddled, not just placed in as garnish.

Be that as it may, it was very unprofessional of the bartender to hassle OP for the drink choice. If you can't handle making the drinks that are on the menu without complaining to the customers who order them, perhaps you shouldn't be a bartender.

I second Demon_of_Light's comment. Complicated drink or not, it's unprofessional and downright rude of the bartender to hassle OP - or any other customer - over their order. If it's on the list of things the place offers, then he should just grin and bear it, make the drink, and vent his frustration later. Snapping at the customer because their drink is one you don't like making isn't okay, no matter how complex the order is.

She said FML because the she told the hot bartender she was pregnant out of haste.

Thanks, I missed the word "hot" the first time I read it.

You shouldn't have to lie. He needs to be professional and give you what you asked for without judging. For all he knew you were on the wagon.

Silverbladex 0

I don't see why you had to make something up. You made a decision. Nothing to be ashamed of.