By willkftw - 03/11/2018 23:30 - Australia - Blackburn

Today, while teaching my brother to drive on the freeway, I told him to downshift from 4th to 3rd. He went into 1st instead, blowing my engine and transmission. I can't afford to get it fixed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 605
You deserved it 557

Top comments

Manual transmission: the greatest anti theft device ever.

If a mistake like that caused so much damage, your car must have been ancient or super-crappy. Time to get a new one, even a new used one. Get an automatic this time.

Comments

Benopero 8

Damn that sucks. Using a manual car is ass.

Some of us can focus more on the road and traffic.

Manual transmission: the greatest anti theft device ever.

I call bullshit. The syncros won't let you do it and even if he was able, it but be a hurculean feat and would grind so much trying to go in that he (and you) would know something was wrong well before the vehicles actually would go into 1st.

Yea... I have gone from 3rd back to 2nd when accelerating onto the highway... unintended Italian tuneup 🤷‍♂️

And this is why I'll always drive a car with automatic transmission.

If a mistake like that caused so much damage, your car must have been ancient or super-crappy. Time to get a new one, even a new used one. Get an automatic this time.

Sounds like he needed a better driving instructor.

That’s hardly fair. It’s easy for a learner driver to make mistakes even after they’ve learned the right way to do it.

weaboo 12

Yeah but he should at least help pay the repair you don’t need to pay for everything

Garuda 1

They call this a money shift. For quite obvious reasons. Google it, you'll see it isn't uncommon. Definitely crappy for you. And happens on high end sports cars as well as beaters...

Just wondering why would you be going into 3rd on the highway anyways?

Casstrodamus 4

That's why my boyfriend has been so apprehensive about teaching me to drive his stick shift car. We only just got another car that we can drive two weeks ago, and we couldn't afford to be without a car for any amount of time due to our jobs. If I had broken his car, we would have been screwed.