By Congrats? - 27/10/2015 15:16 - United States - Charleston

Today, I discovered that my father is getting married. Overjoyed and confused because I didn't know he was dating, I called him up to congratulate him, and ask who she was. Apparently, his soon to be fiancée is my mother-in-law. My wife is not happy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 741
You deserved it 1 852

Same thing different taste

Top comments

alex_the_tiger 14

Definite FYL, you'll be married to your step sister

Swandive235 27

That's awkward, I've seen this happen before. Just an overall bad situation.

Comments

Seems a bit like something off of the Jerry Springer Show.

Hey, they found love. They deserve to be happy. Doesn't seem like you nor your wife are close anyways if no one heard from them personally.

addioty 19

No. He could have picked someone else. It's weird and rude.

I actually agree with you, 12, assuming the relationship genuinely is happy and healthy. I'll admit that it's an unusual and awkward situation and I'm sure it's going to take some getting used to, but I think getting in the way of what could be a happy marriage just because they're uncomfortable about other relationships involved would be selfish. But then, my parents just celebrated their 33rd anniversary and my mother in law is no longer with us, so what do I know?

addioty 19

Just because you like someone doesn't mean you should be with them. If it makes everyone else feel weird then stop. If the kids knew each other before, they got dibs.

Is anyone on this thread considering OP and his wife? Sure his dad and her mom must be happy together, but this is making OP and his wife unhappy and uncomfortable. They're their parents, they should be considering other people's feelings too.

#40, But OP and his wife are adults. I think they could handle it if they tried. If they think about it, they should come to realize it doesn't change anything between the two of them.

christge1beast 17

40, do people get in relationships or get married because of how it affects other people? Sure this case is odd, but they found love like 12 said.

gobiteme2 34

I see where OP lives in Illinois. Since they haven’t heard from their parents in awhile they could live far away, They could even live in a state were practices like this are not uncommon. OP if they live close by move as far and as fast as you can.

I agree with 12 & 27. If the parents are happy, than OP and his wife can adjust. Sure, it might be odd and awkward at first, but I don't think it's as disturbing and creepy as other people seem to think it is. All families have quirks. OP and his wife know they're not brother and sister. It won't (or shouldn't) affect OP or his wife—except as a funny story for their children. Honestly, I would be angrier that neither parent mentioned to their kids that they were dating.

#40 they are not kids. Their parents don't need to give a **** about how they feel.

addioty 19

They should give a ****. I would cut the parents off if they did that shit. If I married someone and my dad married their mom he'd be out of my life.

Well at least we know your loyalty 105.. "Marry someone I don't want you to and you are out of my life!!!"

They say in-laws can be nightmares, but this... A precarious situation, to be sure. Hopefully, it doesn't cause any serious complications down the road.

Your family tree is about to get messed up

"My mom's mom is married to my dad's dad!" Teacher- "The ****...."

Is that Dueling Banjos I hear??? I think they just turned your family tree into a jagger bush...

so, will your relationship be considered incest or normal? since you married before them.. but then.. this is just ******* my brains out

It's only invest if you're blood-relations. Legally they will be considered step-siblings, but that doesn't change their DNA.

And it's only really weird if they grow up as siblings.

wordygirl 11

This would make a great comedy movie. I can't imagine you or your wife being able to wrap your heads around this any time soon. fyl

ADBurns 22

Honestly. You just have to laugh... Otherwise you will cry.. Be happy for them.

Even the lannisters will not approve of this.