By notfromanisland - 04/12/2015 05:41

Today, through a mutual friend I met with a girl from Netherlands for dinner. At some point, she told me I have an Antillean accent, referring to the Dutch Antilles. I was born and raised nowhere near those islands, but my former boyfriend of 5 years is Antillean. Now I have his accent. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 175
You deserved it 2 494

Same thing different taste

Top comments

mds9986 24

It's actually hypothesized that couples take on each others traits. I read somewhere where they sometimes take on each other's smiles too. I now can't stop noticing it in people. Can't help it op it's in your nature.

Make the best of it! Those we date change us, for better or worse!

Comments

mds9986 24

It's actually hypothesized that couples take on each others traits. I read somewhere where they sometimes take on each other's smiles too. I now can't stop noticing it in people. Can't help it op it's in your nature.

Don't know how this is an FML most people wish they could have a foreign accent

KhaleesiDannie 26

I can see that happening really easily as long as you two were together I have been married for 5 years and we've picked up some of each other's ways of acting and speaking

Don't know how this is an FML, most people would love to have a foreign accent

Make the best of it! Those we date change us, for better or worse!

You spent 5 years with them, you were bound to take on some of their traits. Not an FML OP, I'm sure having an accent will be great.

This is a very common thing. I have been with my boyfriend for a year & 1/2 and everyone tells us we talk the same and say the same phrases.

Why FYL? I think that's kind of cute. My father was an American serviceman, and my older sister had lived through two of his tours in Germany. She had picked up a German accent. When my family moved back stateside, i was learning to talk like she did. I've spent most of the rest of my life in New Orleans but people find it hard to believe i grew up there.

Inb4 FML mods remove for questioning their decision

There's quite a bit of research done on how partners often pick up cues and habits, verbal and otherwise, from the other one. Quite interesting.