By Anonymous - 07/07/2017 11:53 - United States - Quitman

Today, my phone ran out of space, so I downloaded an app to store all my photos online. After everything transferred, I deleted the 1,000+ photos from my phone, along with the "recently deleted" file since it was also taking up space. The app is now empty of all "downloaded photos". FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 909
You deserved it 2 850

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Assuming you have a smart phone, you should be able to move future photos to your computer- if you have one- using you charging cable (if it is a USB cable) by plugging it into the USB port. Use it as a media device, and you should be able to move them. If you don't have a computer, but do have a USB charging cable, get a USB flash Drive, go to a public library, and use both as media devices. You should be able to move the photos from your phone to the USB cable. I'm sorry that you lost your photos.

How hard would it have been to plug your phone into your computer and transfer the 1000+ photos to a hard drive? You mentioned using an 'app', so I can tell it's at least a smart-phone. Apple, Android, and Windows phones will all quite happily connect to your computer over USB, and old-school hard-drives are fairly cheap storage.

Comments

Assuming you have a smart phone, you should be able to move future photos to your computer- if you have one- using you charging cable (if it is a USB cable) by plugging it into the USB port. Use it as a media device, and you should be able to move them. If you don't have a computer, but do have a USB charging cable, get a USB flash Drive, go to a public library, and use both as media devices. You should be able to move the photos from your phone to the USB cable. I'm sorry that you lost your photos.

donuuuuuut 10

maybe she doesn't have a computer

They gave a solution if OP doesn't have a computer. Go to the library. That's the best no computer solution.

You have an iPhone.... what was the problem in putting them on external storage such as a USB drive or hard drive?? Meh online. This is why I don't trust the "cloud"

How hard would it have been to plug your phone into your computer and transfer the 1000+ photos to a hard drive? You mentioned using an 'app', so I can tell it's at least a smart-phone. Apple, Android, and Windows phones will all quite happily connect to your computer over USB, and old-school hard-drives are fairly cheap storage.

YourEvilTwin 3

Why would not check the pictures accessibility from another device before deleting what was literally irreplaceable in value?

middlenamefrank 8

Ever hear of backing up your data? Sorry, there's no way to avoid the YDI button on this one.

Original poster here, the phone was so full that it literally didn't have to space to back itself up, I also don't have a computer to back it up on. Thanks though, babe.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Nowhere does it say that they own an iPhone

If you are going to use a app to store photos in the cloud, at least do it with a reputable company like Google photo or with Amazon. I'm pretty sure Google give you like 10gbs for free with a google account

Google photos has unlimited storage if you reduce the quality (wich is still good enough)

I prefer full quality. But yea , unlimited if you store using standard

Original poster here. It WAS google photos. I watched the app spend over 10 minutes as it "searched through my phone and downloaded all photos." I scrolled through multiple times and saw all of my photos in "my photos", I trusted it.

milksquad 11

I'm confused. I have a Droid and the "Google Photos" app is the app I use for internal storage. So if you delete them from your phone, yeah, the app isn't going to have anything in it, because it's offline storage. Just upload them to your Google Drive, much more secure and it has a shit ton of storage space. I have a YouTube channel and I use my drive to store my videos (most 30-60 minutes long, 1080p, 16:9) and it's barely put a dent in my storage.

Google photos has a option to make a online backup of all your photos. I have been using it for a couple of years

ImminentDisaster 12

Did you not check to make sure they had actually uploaded, were accessible and that you weren't deleting them from the cloud when you deleted them from your phone?

species4872 19

Now you know why they are called smart phones because the users are not.

Lobby_Bee 17

Must be an iPhone. Once you delete it on either computer or phone, it's gone from both once you sync it. Yeah, I don't understand either. Happened to me once when I had the iPhone 3g. Promptly sold that crap and got an Android. Never looked back.