By "lk07" - 27/10/2017 23:00 - United States - Midlothian

Today, after selling things on eBay all week to afford a nice weekend with my husband and kids, my car died. Now we have to spend the money on a battery. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 650
You deserved it 333

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your budget for a nice weekend was about the cost of a car battery? You should have sold more on eBay so each child could have their own ice cream cone.

Soooooo.... You can't afford to spend 100 dollars on a battery. While I realize everyone needs some recreational time, maybe for you're kids sake you should put your money in a savings account instead of on something you don't need. A battery is an inexpensive fix for a car, next time you might not be so lucky.

Comments

Soooooo.... You can't afford to spend 100 dollars on a battery. While I realize everyone needs some recreational time, maybe for you're kids sake you should put your money in a savings account instead of on something you don't need. A battery is an inexpensive fix for a car, next time you might not be so lucky.

aren't batteries for a Prius pretty expensive?

97mailo 17

When the main battery on a hybrid dies you are still able to use the car with the combustible engine, when the small 12v battery dies, the car won’t move at all. Since he said the car died I assumed he is talking about the 12v battery not the one that drives the electric motors. The 12v batteries are around $100 the other ones are from $5,000 to 10,000 depending on the car.

Why are you guys assuming that the car is a Prius. He just said a car battery. I had to replace mine and it was like $200 for my Honda CR-V and I got the Duracell gold battery with a 5 year warranty.

Your budget for a nice weekend was about the cost of a car battery? You should have sold more on eBay so each child could have their own ice cream cone.

Probably it depends on your location, but here it is fairly possible to get a room for two adults & two kids at a spa and sauna centre for that price. Unlimited use of the spa and sauna centre and pools, breakfast included, kitchenette in room to avoid spending money at restaurants. For me personally, it would count for a nice weekend at least.

Where I am from and the places I would go to, the cost of a car battery wouldn't get me very far. Cooking on vacation is not a vacation.

Lobby_Bee 17

Doesn't mean you can't, it just means you can't right now. In the near future, you can enjoy that nice vacation with your family.

corky1992 33

How expensive is your battery?! I didnt think they'd cost that much for ALL of the money to go towards that instead.

Good point, but if the budget for the weekend was a Prius battery, it wouldn’t be “nice,” it’d be an epic blowout!

mikkigrlxx 13

So was it a really cheap holiday or a really expensive car battery

If you don't have the float in the bank for basic car repairs, you probably don't have money to have a nice weekend off. I could understand selling stuff on ebay for extra spending money, but if that has to go towards a repair, You most definitely need to organize your finances. Do it together, try free resources online! Once you two are a bit more comfortable and you have a cushion, plan that weekend again! Good Luck!

My parents taught me that you shouldn't spend money on things you don't need unless you have enough money if something needs to be replaced.

OP could very well be saying that the money they made from the sales was intended to be extra money on top of their emergency savings. And since the point of emergency savings it to use it when you don't have excess money floating around, they would have had to relocate the vacation money to car repairs.

Catto-Golden 23

Okay but why not charge the ******* battery