This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By fail at leaving - 23/03/2017 16:00

Today, I've been trying to quit my job for 3 days now, I even gave my resignation letter in. My boss refuses to let me leave, and keeps giving me more shifts. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 642
You deserved it 732

Top comments

num1piglover 13

Just stop showing up at work, don't take the shifts. Don't show up don't answer the phone if they call about you. If you must answer state you already quit.

brightlink 8

He legally has to accept your letter of resignation. You can sue him and win if he keeps doing this

Comments

num1piglover 13

Just stop showing up at work, don't take the shifts. Don't show up don't answer the phone if they call about you. If you must answer state you already quit.

Carguy1999 1

or they could just cuss him out.

brightlink 8

He legally has to accept your letter of resignation. You can sue him and win if he keeps doing this

i get thats the right thing to do, but it seems that the white persons answer to everything is sue him/her. don't get why the first thing people jump to is to sue

If you are quitting that job, I hope you have a new one. Once you start working there, this problem will solve itself.

TabooSushi 24

Sooo... Just stop showing up? Stop letting him push you around.

Some places with high turnovers will make you work 4 weeks and pay you for 2 weeks and then pay you monthly or bi monthly. That way they owe you wages. Which they will not pay unless you part "amicably". So if they give you shifts and you don't turn up, you end up loosing at least 2 weeks pay. Maybe the Op doesn't want to or cannot afford to loose 2 week pay. Maybe he needs a recommendation letter or a job reference..

Of course this is not true. Federal labor law is quite clear on this: All wages due *must* be aid according to the posted schedule. I don't care if someone walks out halfway through a shift, the money earned is payable. A company can deduct for approved things, like lost work clothes, but cannot withhold in its' entirety money just because you don't part amicably.

sounds like my job. took me 4 months of "I'm leaving" until they got it.

Well, generally you have to give two weeks notice.

mariri9206 32

That's not the issue here. They gave them their notice and the boss is refusing to accept it. Also, the two weeks notice is a courtesy and not something you HAVE to do, unless you intend to use them as a reference.

Two weeks notice is a courtesy, not a legal obligation.

You don't *have* to give anything unless you are under a contract. Since most states now are "right to work" or employment at will, this will rarely happen.

mariri9206 32

You gave your notice. After two weeks/the end date you gave them, you're not required to continue to show up for your shifts as you would no longer work there. He can't force you to stay.

This is not up to your boss. You gave your resignation letter, so follow that. Whatever day you said was your last day, make it be your last day -- you're just keeping your word. If you want to be polite about it, you could say, "Excuse me, but you've scheduled me to work on days after the end of my notice. I won't be here then, so you need to find someone else to work those shifts, because I won't be here." But you have no real obligation to do so. I had a somewhat similar situation once. I was working two jobs. One job made its schedule first, and I gave that schedule to the manager at the second job. He scheduled me to work on a day that I was already working at my other job. I pointed out to him that I could not work that day, because the other job scheduled me first. The day came, and I showed up at the first job. The district manager at the second job called me and asked why I wasn't at work. I told him the entire story. He said, "And you definitely told him before he made the schedule?" I replied, "Yes, and I also pointed out the conflict after he posted the schedule." The manager got in trouble. I did not.

I'm sorry, but when I first read this, I thought the boss had given him "more *****." That was much funnier than the correct version.