By Leanna - 10/04/2017 12:00

Today, I cleaned my entire house. Ready for a fresh finishing touch in the bedroom, I grabbed the Febreze and lightly sprayed over my clean bedding, carpeting, and clothing. Then a pungent odor hit me. It seems someone forgot to label the bottle when they filled it with vinegar instead. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 127
You deserved it 687

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why would anyone pour vinegar into a bottle of Febreze?

Stealthninjaa 19

One time I unknowingly used a bottle of hairspray that had been repurposed for febreze. At least my head smelled fresh.

Comments

Why would anyone pour vinegar into a bottle of Febreze?

Vinegar is also a deodorizer/mild sanitizer. Same job, one just smells less pleasant and has a risk of discoloring poorly set dye/certain dyes.

vinegar is suppose to neutralize odors. When it dries your not suppose to smell it anymore, but I feel like I can smell it for days after cleaning with it.

Stealthninjaa 19

One time I unknowingly used a bottle of hairspray that had been repurposed for febreze. At least my head smelled fresh.

Vinegar is a great. I don't think there is a more universal household product than vinegar. It deodorizes, disinfects, cleans, kills weeds and removes algae and moss from stones (don't use it on marble though!). But I wouldn't use it like Febreeze on fabric due to the acidity. I would have a word or two about proper labeling of containers with the members of your household. What's next? Urine sample in a juice bottle in the fridge?

Whoever did that to you is a total douche!

Coulda been worse... I've heard of people filling them with piss as a practical joke.

finalyearsofhate 22

On the bright side, vinegar IS a natural odor eliminator (among other things). So once the salad smell dissipated, enjoy the nice freshness. I use vinegar to clean almost everything at home.

species4872 19

At least you won't have any flies.

JadeMinu 10

Well OP, if it makes you feel better, I was on a cleaning spree myself a few days ago, and instead of using wax on the stairs ( they're wooden stairs) , i used furniture polish instead, and i kept wondering why the stairs was way too slippery later on. Thankfully there was no accidents, but i did have to find some way to get the polish off the stairs lol.

Plot twist: You live alone! (Don't worry, OP. I've done things to myself, also. Just get revenge on future you by setting up a trick and forget about it)

HalfLit 17

Plot twist: Fabreeze is full of harmful chemicals, and vinegar, although pungent, is extremely good for killing bacterias that cause odors, where Fabreeze simply masks them, and cultivates the conditions.

On the upside, the odor will dissipate, and vinegar is actually a very good deodorizer. I cleaned houses for a living about a million years ago. We used only 4 cleaning products: ammonia (for windows and mirrors), Comet (for porcelain), Murphy's Oil Soap (for wood floors), and white vinegar (for everything else).