By HungryBird - 04/03/2018 01:00 - Australia - Peakhurst

Today, it's my 18th birthday. As I moved out of home to study, and currently spend 95% of my wage on rent, I asked my mother for any amount of money as my gift. I desperately need new shoes and underwear, and haven't eaten for two days. Instead, I got a pair of earrings. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 936
You deserved it 577

Top comments

please talk to your university. they should be able to help

wow, that sounds really tough. tell her how desperate you are. tell her about the underwear and not eating. take care

Comments

Maybe she'd already bought the gift before you asked for money. If she didn't know how desperate you are it's understandable. I'd suggest explaining it to her and getting as much charity as possible as people have suggested. Maybe a relative has grown out of shoes? Ask around. Charity shops are a good bet too and places like primark for underwear. Good luck.

good point. Many people have been where you'd re OP. there is no shame in it. In fact be proud that you are getting this education! please don't be afraid to ask for help. once you've done this course and in the future, you may be in a position to help someone else, but right now you need to look after yourself. take care.

Lobby_Bee 17

Your mom wants her baby to move back home. She won't send you any money.

tounces7 27

Go on a date? That's how Americans get free food....

also depending where you live they night do food Bank, where they give out free food for those who need something to tide them over a couple of days.

Mechakitty 13

obviously food isn't as important as brand new earrings

Platypus95 6

Speak to Centrelink. Talk to the Uni. You can get low income housing discounts if you join the program, ask for rent assistance from Centrelink and also, speak to your uni. Apply for scholarships or try move to a cheaper house. 95% on rent is far too much! Mine is like 1/3 on rent.

You should eat the earrings in front of your mom. That’ll show her!

Can you get a roommate to defray costs?

AmberAlert12 13

My mom did this, I asked for textbooks bc I'm broke, but thank the lord I got figurines I'm not into instead.