This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By My_Art_Isn't_Art - 05/02/2019 14:00

Today, I saw my family for xmas. My cousin, an artist, said the still life I am doing for class isn't art and that I should drop out for trade school. I showed everyone my final, they liked it/said to keep going to school. She "agreed" but still thinks my projects aren't art. I can't win. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 299
You deserved it 107

Top comments

Sounds like jealousy and insecurity over their own ability. What you're doing is art, and you should continue on this path if it's what you want. Don't let their words dissuade you.

Oh jeez tell your cousin to go f* off. Lesson Nr. 1 in art is that there is no way to define what is and is not art. She might not like it or she might be jealous, but that's the kind of person whose advice you can safely ignore and you'll see your life turn around for the better. Now go make as much art as you want, next time she complains, duct tape her mouth and call it performance art.

Comments

Sounds like jealousy and insecurity over their own ability. What you're doing is art, and you should continue on this path if it's what you want. Don't let their words dissuade you.

Chronos2187 2

Art is subjective, there is no piece that everyone will like. Don't let one persons opinion change you mind if it's something you enjoy. Just because your cousin is an artist doesn't make her opinion any more valuable then the next persons.

Oh jeez tell your cousin to go f* off. Lesson Nr. 1 in art is that there is no way to define what is and is not art. She might not like it or she might be jealous, but that's the kind of person whose advice you can safely ignore and you'll see your life turn around for the better. Now go make as much art as you want, next time she complains, duct tape her mouth and call it performance art.

Jennifer Kennedy 3

Art is subjective, don’t let any self righteous knob bucket tell you what you do isn’t art. And your cousin is an asshole.

Keep working on your craft until it ascends to art. There are a lot of technical skills you need to master before your work gets to the quality of fine art.

She sounds like an envious bitch. Protect your art, don't let her succeed. There are people out there who love making other people feel insecure. I root for you! In the words of Glen Hansard (Oscar acceptance speech): "Make art!Make art!Make art!"

Your cousin "the artist" didn't start out where she is with whatever skill level she claims. It's unfortunate she is not more encouraging to less-experienced people.

Sounds like your cousin isn't an artist. At least they don't know what art is. On a different note, what's with the Christmas FMLs? We finally managed to get to New Years and now there's a bunch of Christmas ones again...

silvermoon5033 26

pretty sure your cousin is just jealous.

Who cares what some stuck up ass thinks?? You're enjoying it and clearly have talent Even if you do it for a hobby or career, keep it up