By ChromoTec - 24/09/2018 22:38

Today, despite being the president of the Japanese club at my school since it started, my mom will not let me go on a school-sponsored trip to Japan. She's worried that North Korea will fire a missile at Japan while I'm there. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 838
You deserved it 287

ChromoTec tells us more.

ChromoTec 24

Hey, OP here. I couldn't fit everything inside the 300-character limit, so I'll just explain it here. She says we don't have the money to go, which currently we don't, but she refused all of my fundraising ideas and made me take down my GoFundMe page, and since she doesn't let me get a job either, I'm stuck with no way to pay for it. I've tried again and again to get her to let me go, but she won't let me. I want to live in Japan as an adult, and this trip might be the only chance I'll get before making that decision. She also says she's concerned about my "safety," although we have 24/7 support, a bilingual tour guide with us at all times, and one adult chaperone per six students. I really cannot convince her otherwise, so I guess I just can't go. It was nice getting all of your supportive comments, and I look forward to being able to go as an adult.

Top comments

Listen to your mom! Kim Jung-Un will take the opportunity to eliminate another dictator-for-life, even if you’re just the Dear Leader of a high-school club.

I just came back. It's fine, the weather in Kansai was the real threat. Your mum needs to chill. My mom did something similar when I was a child about Europe, and you'll never forgive them for that at least if they don't cool it.

Comments

Listen to your mom! Kim Jung-Un will take the opportunity to eliminate another dictator-for-life, even if you’re just the Dear Leader of a high-school club.

I just came back. It's fine, the weather in Kansai was the real threat. Your mum needs to chill. My mom did something similar when I was a child about Europe, and you'll never forgive them for that at least if they don't cool it.

PenguinPal3017 19

Everyone thinks these things sound insane until they happen.

Umm is your mom nuts or crazy sorry for ya OP just drive her crazy till she says yes 😈

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

Bullshit. They don't even have nukes... All they have is a giant catapult that throws kim, the man himself at his enemies. (Not that it would be less terrifying... Also Japan has expierience in adapting to inbound nukes...

please tell your mom that we're doing very much fine here in japan. and welcome.

She doesn't sound reasonable. I think you just have to secretly sign up and tell her a couple days before. This is a special opportunity, after all. if she can't see how her unreasonableness is ruining your life, then... Have you tried having someone else talk sense into her, like a parent of another kid in the club?

I'm not sure how easily you can get a passport behind your parents' back...

I would find out which classmates are going and see if their parent's will talk to your mom. Good luck!

Tell her to relax. Statistically speaking you are more likely to die during travel by falling, burning, electrocution or getting crushed than from airplane accidents or terrorist incidents. So nothing to worry about.