By notapetkiller - 26/07/2016 06:12 - United States - New Hyde Park

Today, while in the car with my mom, we accidentally ran over a dog that had sprinted into the road. Instead of stopping, my mom continued to drive as if nothing happened. Every time I tried to bring it up, she merely talked loudly over me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 977
You deserved it 1 628

Same thing different taste

Top comments

doctorwho143 3
askullnamedbilly 33

However, if you wish to be considered an adult, you have to take responsibility for your actions. That means if you hit someone's pet, you stop the car to see if there's a vet needed and try to locate the owners if possible. Just continuing driving and pretending nothing's happened is not only irresponsible, it's immature.

Comments

I know my mom would never let me see any car wrecks or roadkill because she was scared of me being traumatized. Maybe yours didn't want you (or herself) to see a not-so-pretty dog?

your mom needs to be turned in for a hit and run and animal abuse

species4872 19

you should be turned in for being a wanker.

By that logic the dog owner should be arrested because it sounds like it was mostly the dogs fault it got hit.

jebron 13

You should be turned in for poor grammar.

polsen4273 8

I misclicked on that thumbs up. Definitely a thumbs down

Stopping for small animals is against the law here. It's a dog. Not a human. Nothing she did was illegal, even in the slightest. She could have stopped after if she wanted, but the law doesn't require that except for humans. Also, where I live, stopping on a road for animals under ~10kgs is against the law. Hence the duck lady on the 401.

jebron 13

Your mum sounds like a heartless bitch. In the UK it's a legal requirement to stop if you hit a dog.

That is awful. Do you know if it died immediately? She should have got out and called the owners and got it medical help if possible. At the very least, not leave it in the middle of the road for other cars to hit. That is horrible. Was it on a deserted road? Is the dog now suffering with no one else driving by to help it?

OPs mom kept driving. I don't think they know the dogs fate

Something similar happened to me and my mom. My mom ignored the decapitated seagull and i kept screaming about it but when we got to the place, i noticed she wasnt well (we werent even the ones who hit the flying bird. The van in front did and the body flew onto our windshield.) some days later, she told me that she stayed calm to calm me down since i was apparently just screaming but there was soooo much blood.. And most importantly, she wanted to wait until she was not driving to go through the "motions." Here i thought she was a heartless jerk because she was a bit too calm.

I am always upset by the death of an animal, I really am. But I get really mad if a dog's owner gets angry at the person who hit their dog, if their dog was left unleashed, unfenced, unsupervised, and free to roam where it wants. If you don't want them running out in front of cars to get hit, then do something about it. Don't make the drivers be responsible for your own negligence. I would never let my dog be a nuisance to other people this way. He is never outside without a fence, a leash, or my husband or myself to keep him in check. This dog may have been a stray, or it may have been a pet. Either way, she still should have tried to avoid it to the best of her ability. I'm sorry you had to witness that. It's never easy, for anyone who isn't cruel-hearted at least, to deal with that sort of thing. I feel your pain.

You can't put all the blame on the owner #30. What if someone was in their yard and left the gate unlatched and the dog got out, or the dog was scared by something and ran off before they could get it in the house? Would it still be the owners fault? Yes, they need to be more responsible with what they do with their dog; but what OP's mother did is incredibly wrong and irresponsible.

Well, obviously something like that wouldn't be the fault of the owners. I get that dogs panic or escape from the house or yard when they are excited, and accidents happen. But I've seen plenty of instances where owners just let their dogs roam and never do anything to discourage them from chasing cars or other passersby, which results in hearts being broken and the owners looking for someone or something else to blame besides their own lack of discipline or supervision for their dog. I know people who live down the road from my dad who let their dogs go wherever they please. There was an incident where they got angry at him for chasing their dog away. First off, the dog was in my father's yard. You should never let your pet on other people's property, especially without permission. Second, the dog was chasing my father's cat, and this particular dog had a reputation for killing cats. When my dad pointed this all out to them, they were left speechless and just took the dog home. He was euthanized three weeks later because he attacked an elderly lady who was checking her mail, with no provocation. The lady was fine, but she did have a large bruise where the dog had bit her on her forearm. Again, this dog was just left outside unsupervised while they were out grocery shopping, because they clearly didn't learn anything from the incident with my dad. So yes, accidents do happen where the owner isn't to blame, but things like this are more likely due to the owner's carelessness of their pet's behavior.

RpiesSPIES 27

Same thing happened to a friend of mine, except with a bunny. We were talkin' via skype when it happened and she was totally freaked out for the bunny. I feel so bad for any animal that lives enough to feel two cars hit 'em.

Feeling bad about it doesn't make up for the fact that she didn't stop to see if it could be helped though.

corky1992 33

Anyone who doesn't stop after hitting or running over an animal is a terrible person.

jeepguy83 14

It's just a dog. Get over it. There would be no point in risking you and your mom's life trying to swerve to avoid the animal. That could cause an accident that could hurt or kill you, yor mom, or someone else on the road.

The FML isn't about hitting the dog. From what it sounds like, it doesn't even seem like there was an opportunity to avoid it. Unfortunately those situations happen. Even so, the mom should have at least stopped and checked on the dog, especially since it might be someone's pet.

Like the comment above me says, the FML isn't about hitting the dog. It's about the fact that her mother didn't bother to check to see if the dog was okay, or to see if it had a collar on to contact the owners. From the wording of the FML, I'm assuming that would've been possible. If somebody ran over my pet and didn't bother to check on her or to attempt to notify me, I would honestly hold a deep hatred for that person for the rest of my life.

I would actually rather die than know I hurt an sweet animal (though we do that every day, but anyway) and didn't at least check if it was okay. It's not "just a dog". Animals aren't "just animals." We have seen ourselves as above all other creatures for such a long time and we have almost destroyed Earth.

#52 That's a bit much to want to die, please realize mistakes don't last forever. You can do more good by living on through mistakes. We can assume a natural preference for your own species is an evolutionary self preservative measure, so I don't always blame people for considering human life (at times) more important than an animal's. I don't believe that animals should be treated cruelly and Op's mother absolutely should have checked on the dog. We as human beings have a higher understanding of our world and in turn have a larger responsibility to treat living things and this planet with more respect.