By S - 23/11/2016 21:14

Today, the district manager visited. Also today, I got called into the office to talk about "personal hygiene". The assistant store manager asked me if I had some kind of medical problem and advised me to shower regularly because my co-workers have been making comments. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 214
You deserved it 4 265

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Personal hygiene is an important priority when you work with and are around other people. Hopefully this was just a terrible joke or something on your coworkers part, then FYL. If not then YDI for not keeping your personal hygiene up to work standards.

To be honest, I've known guys that can smell like fruit when they get to work and minutes later start sweating and smelling bad. It could be a genetics problem, food consumption, OR hygiene, but there's no way to know if it is ACTUALLY the OPs fault or a legitimate, non diagnosed medical problem.

Comments

I know someone at my work who got fired because she smelled heavily of cat piss all the time. She was a forklift driver. Got warned 3 different times and then fired for continuing to come to working smelling like cat pee lol.

Powerage66 16

I used to work in a busy deli at a supermarket. No matter how much I showered or washed my work clothes, I could never get rid of the smell of fried chicken off of me.

If it gets into your pores, you're not getting it out unless you avoid the place for a week +.

8313girl 28

If you smell like fried chicken I'd be your friend to the end. Hope you mind people getting a good whiff of you lol

You're lucky they're confronting you with it, Stanky, and giving you a chance to fix it. Most places just kick out smelly workers.

Yeah I think that's illegal to be honest...

cootiequeen4444 11

There is a very short list of banned reasons to fire someone in the US and being smelly ain't one of them.

Just wait until they go to sue the company, and the judge has the sheriffs hose them down outside the courthouse.

So in the US you can actually get fired just for smelling bad? Wow, US work laws really ARE harsh!

To be honest, I've known guys that can smell like fruit when they get to work and minutes later start sweating and smelling bad. It could be a genetics problem, food consumption, OR hygiene, but there's no way to know if it is ACTUALLY the OPs fault or a legitimate, non diagnosed medical problem.

I've had an old coworker who was let go because others had said he smelled bad, which I didn't even notice. nicest guy I've met. I saw him leave on his last day, it was heartbreaking. Boss was a bitch. I highly doubt op doesn't practice daily hygiene, people are just catty.

Perhaps you're wearing clothes from the wrong type of fabric. Nylon and other not-natural fibers tend to work like a sauna suit and cause excessive sweating. Best stick to cotton, bamboo etc. Shower once a day, daily clean underwear and socks and minimum once a week change of clothes. Don't air out the worn clothes but wash them. Also use a good deodorant. And last: brush your teeth 2-3 times a day.

If you do shower everyday and use soap, a toothbrush and toothpaste, FYL. Go see a doctor. Also, if the doctor tells you to exercice and to wash between the folds, do it; you will feel so much better afterwards.

I had this happen once just from getting held up doing errands on my bike so I didn't get a chance to shower before work when I really needed to. Don't take it personally, be relieved they're being upfront about it, know you can use deodorant a few times a day and last quite a while between showers if you really must.

I don't understand why there is no YDI button on this one! If there's one thing you have control of in your life it's whether you wash yourself and use deodorant. If you’re old enough to type a FML then if you smell it's nobody's fault but your own. YDI! YDI!

not necessarily true. I used to work at a butchers, and by the end of the day my apron and clothes would reek of raw meat and chicken. I showered twice a day, washed my clothes and apron as soon as I came home, but a faint gross smell would still come off them even after being thoroughly washed and dried. No excuse for being a judgemental ass when you don't know the full story.

YDI don't be piggy. Lol hopefully it was a onetime thing like u forgot deodorant that day.