By r1has - 12/09/2016 08:21 - Pakistan - Rawalpindi

Today, someone spilled ammonium hydroxide in ethanol solution in the lab, which smells like very concentrated urine. Since the experiment involved Bunsen burners, we couldn't turn on the fans. We had to work in a lab that smelled like Satan's piss for 2 hours. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 591
You deserved it 1 198

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow, it's not every day we get an FML from the folks that produce Axe body spray! This is truly an honor.

Shadowvoid 33

Sounds like a mixture of Uranium, Hydrogen, and Hydroxide. (UH OH)

Comments

I don't think that was actually an accident ...

Suaria 38

Wouldn't have it already smelled bad because you are working with those chemicals anyways?

That lab smells pretty bad all of the time. We affectionately refer to it as stinky lab. But we're pretty much immune to it by now. The ammonium hydroxide smelt bad enough to break through that. And we had to use the ammonium hydroxide pretty quickly in the experiment so never really smelt ours

MashaV 6

As a chemistry and genetics senior, I've seen my fair share of labs and I definitely sympathize with that! Weird shit happens dude... I remember I was bleaching my biologicals once but the buffet in the culture reacted with the bleach, turned bright red, and smelled like burning tar.

A person spilled a bottle of chlorophorm in our lab once. It was quite the doozy working through that lab.

You should always have SABAs or SCBAs on standby in case of a gas release. Do a stop-and-think, and read the MSDS. It's all OH&S.

As a chemistry student with major organic synthesis and biochemistry labs I can absolutely feel you! Sulfur and Nitrogen stuff is the worst. Though some idiots forget to close the solvents all the time which means I'm working in hazardous and explosive/flammable gas most of the time :/ too stupid to use the fume hoods... smh But fyl though!

Yuck. Could have been more than two hours though..