By noquiero - 21/06/2012 18:13 - United Kingdom - Peterlee

Today, someone rang my doorbell. The moment I opened the door, a smell not unlike a cascading torrent of rotting flesh and urine hit my nostrils. I stood there for an eternity as a homeless man leaned on my door and desperately tried to convince me to buy an array of scrap metal from him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 024
You deserved it 3 492

Same thing different taste

Top comments

At least he's trying to make something of himself.

Comments

Give him a dollar, but don't take his "gift"

This is the most ridiculous and melodramatic FML I have ever read. Yeah, dude. FYL. It must be so horrible for you to have to smell a homeless person. I feel so sorry for you. Asshole.

Today, I was going door to door selling gizmos. One dude answered his door with a look like he had a whiff of bigfoot's dick. Damnit Sex Panther! Why does this have to be the other 40% of the time? FML

perdix 29

Knock, knock. Who's there? Ya see how that works? Knock, knock. Who's there? Control freak. . . Now, here's the part where you say, "Control freak who?"

Mr_Que_Dijo23 5

The homeless guy should Keep that metal in case someone on "bath salts" tries to eat him!

Man you should of did him a favor and just sprayed him with the water hose. Give him a free shower.

3rdbass 9

Well don't just stand there, offer them a sandwhich to take with them or water.

dellis44 7

did you become a patron of his endeavours?

Door to door begging. Beautiful. You should have given him some cash and then closed your door. Problem solved.

You know, a lot of people are avoiding the obvious which is he might buy drugs or alcohol. I know where I live, drug and alcohol abuse is the leading cause of homelessness

I pointed that out on several comments, but I was thumbed down to damnation.

Maybe you were "thumbed down to damnation" because you kept repeating yourself. I am sure we understood you the first 4 times.

For one, it was on a different comment each time. And if people are repeating themselves with opinions opposing mine, why is it that I can't repeat mine more than twice? And I was thumbed down the first time I said it. I get thumbed down for basically breathing on here, apparently. I always see shitty comments getting thumbed up, but when people actually put some thought into it, they're thumbed down.

Hey...137...**** off, kindly, sir or ma'am. :D

That's because it's exceedingly judgemental. Is there a higher percentage of alcoholism and drug addiction among the homeless? I've not seen any research, but anecdotal evidence suggests that it's likely (and I would propose that homelessness is the precipitating factor for developing an addiction in most cases, rather than the other way around). Does that make it right to tar every homeless person with the same brush? Of course not. It's a strange prejudice which survives on mostly unnoticed (I assume because unlike race, gender or sexuality it's not generally something you're born into), but did you stop and think that, when looking at such a person, rather than thinking "homeless... probably an addict!" you should be considering the individual? It's a little basic human decency to form your opinion of people based on their personality, not their demographic. Now, I'm not suggesting a naive approach; if any individual has eyes as wide as saucers, or smells of alcohol to an extent that suggests they'd probably be combustible, take the appropriate action... in this case, that would probably be taking that £5 (or equivalent currency) and buying the person a sandwich... but to suggest that an entire demographic are addicts, well, it's lacking a certain amount of compassion and sensitivity. I would suggest that you're being down-voted for your prejudice, not your repetition.