By Realworldred - 18/06/2015 03:50 - United States - Scranton

Today, my sister started a full-time job with a good pay despite having no prior work experience and being a college freshman. Meanwhile, I've graduated with two degrees, have been working two jobs for the last five years, and still can't get a full-time position anywhere. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 842
You deserved it 3 192

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe you should have thought of this possibility before pursuing a degree in English. Kidding, English majors. Just kidding. Not really.

There's always becoming a professional FML poster.

Comments

CharlesEmersonW 31

I know it's a cliche but, just keep trying, you will succeed eventually. Just try to better yourself every chance you get. Add new skills to yourself. Learn a new language, or learn a trade, or maybe even take a class ! Things always have a way of working themselves out :) Buck up and good luck in the future. Best of luck to you !

Ecudaniel 16

You should have consider becoming a doctor before pursuing a philosophy major.

Welcome to America, hope you find a job soon

Marcella1016 31

Sorry OP but can't you just be happy for your sister? Yeah sucks you have to work hard but just try harder. This sour grapes attitude is really negative, will depress you, and make you resent your sister. I personally would hate to be one of those people who can't be happy for others because things aren't going too well for me. That said, I wish you the best of luck in your job prospects. Things will get better, OP, just stay positive!

No offence, but "try harder?" That's not really great advice. Sometimes people are physically doing all they can do and nothing more can be done. Right now it's just the U.S. economy.

@24 - Because optimism cures everything, right?

Marcella1016 31

Nope by "try harder" I didn't necessarily mean that OP isn't trying hard enough. What I'm saying is, don't begrudge other people their happiness because you may be having some issues. I know too many people who complain about how much more successful people are than them in spite of their herculean efforts at succeeding. What I've found is that some people do really well and just get bad rolls of the dice, and others *think* they're doing really well and refuse to reflect and figure out what they can change to hopefully uplift themselves. My advice still stands: Be happy for your little sister, OP. See what you may be able to do to make yourself more attractive to employers. Sorry, but it's a rough world out there! The job market in a lot of industries has low supply and high demand. Just keep your chin up and try not to compare yourself to others. A positive attitude contributes a lot to happiness! :)

yeah... an art degree sucks. keep on trying op

Does she have one of your degrees? Maybe she graduated in a field with better job chances. Otherwhise your FML is quite invalid because you cant compare job situations between different degrees.

Since the sister is a 'college freshman', I assume she has no degrees.

Yeah i misread that. Thus my argument is completely invalid.

bad_boyfriend 10

The reality is that jobs aren't about degrees. Jobs are about your experience, your skills and who you know. two degrees don't mean anything if you can't network and interview well.

I know how you feel, my greater opportunities are 2.5 hours away. But I was fortunate to accept something within 30 mins for only 5k less a year. Keep searching, don't stay local with degrees.

Have you tried applying to the place your sister just got hired at? Your probably over qualified. Try leaving some things off your resume for certain jobs. Only add things that help for that job.