By mammasboy - 21/05/2013 18:30 - United States - Springfield

Today, my mom scolded me and threatened to ground me for coming home past midnight. Normally, it wouldn't be unreasonable, except for the fact that I'm 24 years-old, and that my parents live with me, in my own house. FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 938
You deserved it 5 365

Same thing different taste

Top comments

mylifeisgreat9 13

Kick them out. They seem like terrible people

friedpwnadge 25

Threaten to give them a curfew if they insist on insulting you in your own home.

Comments

its about that time, where you kick them out.

olpally 32

You rock for having your own house at 24!! Your parents suck for still thinking they can control you, why don't they have their own house? FYL!

Ahh just the good old days OP don't grow up so fast and embrace it.

kittykatkassie 6

OP is 24.. Pretty sure he's done all the embracing he's needed to and is old enough to stay up past midnight at this point..

pazuzus_intern 10

I had the same problem when I moved out of my parents house. Just stand up for yourself.

perdix 29

Why couldn't you call them if you knew you were going to be late? I don't know anything about your history, but you've probably given Momma a lot of trouble in the past.

Because it's his own goddamn house and he can do as he likes. A 24 year old who's kind enough to let his parents stay with him doesn't need to check in.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Perdix meant to post this comment on the FML before this one. Where the lady is late to the interview.

perdix 29

#42, no, I meant this one. I don't know how the parents end up staying with their 24-year-old kid, but he still owes them a courtesy call if he's going to be late.

I agree with Perdix. If you live with someone it's nice to let them know whether you'll be home or not, because it affects them. Last year I lived with my mom (as roommates, I'm an adult and I payed half of the rent) and even though she couldn't ground me she wanted to know when or if I'd be home, and she always told me when she'd be home as well. It's about respect for your housemates, not obedience to your parents.

69. NO. Where I am and where I go is my business only. If I have my own keys, I don't have to tell anybody where I am and when I'll come back.

KingGeorgeGal 12

People can treat their parents differently. Just because you would do something, doesn't mean they should/have to.

monnanon 13

75 you are right you dont HAVE to but it is considered polite to check in if you know the person is waiting for you or may be worried. of op didnt give his parents a time for when he was coming back then no he didnt have to phone but if he was later than expected then a text would have been a good thing. ive always let those ive lived with (that includes flatmates) know where i was going and when to expect me back. it just seemed right.

rabid_otaku 29

I've always wanted to hear the parents try to explain what gives them the right to control their independent, fully adult children.

I would ban them from having sex in your house, then when the police catch them doing it in the car...

jojj351 12

just be like, "hey, remember when I was a kid and you told me it's your house your rules. Yeah, well this is my house my rules, so don't threaten me or you're out."

i wonder if its because she realizes you're grown and no longer "needing" her that she may feel out of control and needs some semblance of authority over you still. i am in no way saying its fair or reasonable behaviour but i think its hard for parents to let go, and they/she may feel ashamed having to live in YOUR house so she lashes out. i could be way off base; but unless she's always been kinda crazy like that, there has to be a reason.