By Anonymous - 08/11/2017 05:00

Today, my little sister, who's still in high school, proved beyond a doubt she's better at my computer repair job than I am. She proved it in front of my customers and my manager, who brushed me aside and offered her a job as soon as she graduates. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 753
You deserved it 1 079

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That’s great! You’ll get to work with your sister. For a while at least, then she’ll probably become your boss and send you out for coffee to keep you away from the broken computers.

So? A lot of IT work cam be self taught. That's how my bf learned a lot he knows before he went to college. Good for her. Encourage her to pursue it as a field.

Comments

So? A lot of IT work cam be self taught. That's how my bf learned a lot he knows before he went to college. Good for her. Encourage her to pursue it as a field.

That’s great! You’ll get to work with your sister. For a while at least, then she’ll probably become your boss and send you out for coffee to keep you away from the broken computers.

ohsnapword 21

A shitty situation no doubt, but please encourage her. The IT field desperately needs talented female techs.

I work in IT and happen to be a female. I can assure you we don't need 'talented female techs'. We need 'talented techs'.

ohsnapword 21

I couldn't agree more. I've seen a lot of people come through the door that have no business being in the field.

I guess it's kind of the same problem. Men thinking they are good at computer stuff only because they are men, and women not pursuing jobs in IT because they are taught that women are shitty with computers. Then you have lots of incompetent men with hubris and very few very capable women, who at some point get sick of all the sexist shit they have to endure in this kind of job.

manb91uk 22

Maybe it’s time you upgraded your skills?

I don’t see this as an FML. I see this as an opening, because you figured out this isn’t the right path in life for you but a great career for your sister. Instead of being stuck in a career you’re okay at but you really don’t enjoy, now you both have the opportunity to find careers that will make you happy.

You get shown up by a school kid, you've no one to blame but yourself for not having your shit together.

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

To be fair I'm still in my HTL and I'm way better at math than my Father. Or my big sister who.is already working.

SIRR0BINH00D 4

The apprentice has outsmarted the master ?

Hellblazer_Sith 25

Encourage her. We get some many rubbish “IT” people in our field. We need people with skill. Also OP you always need to keep up to date with the latest technology and know how to fix it. It’s one of the joys of working in IT.

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

It-Support rule #1: If you're faced with a problem that you never knew existed, ask google. SOMEONE had this problem before. It-Support rule #2: If you don't find anything online, make a backup and load a new os onto the pc. It saves time, work and tears.