By Anonymous - 12/02/2014 17:26 - United States - Louisville

Today, my in-laws kept mocking me for being "too clean" because I take a shower every day. They think I'm weird and kept saying things like "Be careful when you hug your daughter, she might squeak!" and calling me names like "water-wasting bitch." They haven't stopped all day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 227
You deserved it 4 411

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TGKat 13

I think your in-laws have yet to escape medieval times and come to the present, OP. FYL

XBurytheCastleX 25

For a present, give them some body sprays and deodorant. Let them know they need it. Revenge

Comments

It's not healthy to take a shower every day, it drys out your skin. Unless you need to every day

I'll argue against that, for babies and young children it might but as a 17 year old who takes a shower in the morning and after sprouts I can say my skin is fine.

buttcramp 21

you should wash your body daily and apply lotion if your skin gets dry. I wash my hair every three days and use dry shampoo between washes because my hair is really frizzy and unmanageable. infants should be bathed every three days if newborn but once they crawl or play on the floor it's time for a daily bath. I apply lotion to my baby every evening after her bath and even with her diagnosis of eczema her skin is soft.. bathe daily.

I think it's hair which you shouldn't wash daily (due to washing away natural grease or something) but for the body the case is different...especially with sweaty teenagers!

Autocorrect thinks you're a messy eater. :)

Using products like shampoo and body wash everyday can be damaging to your skin over time. There are ways around this like in between showers just rinsing with warm water, it's not as luxurious but if your worried about that then it helps. If you are a messy person or have a dirty job showering with soap is probably most hygienic. But all in all if it suits your fancy to shower every day go for it. If you like so shower every other day, that's cool too. I don't know why it's such a big debate. It's your body, be as hygienic as you want.

Showering isn't needed necessarily, but a good wash is really a good idea. I hope your in-laws do at least wash daily...

Sodapop40 21

You should not shower every day. Anytime you take a shower -- especially a hot one -- with soap and a scrubbing device like a washcloth or a loofah, you're undermining the integrity of your skin's horny layer. The soap and the hot water dissolve the lipids in the skin and scrubbing only hastens the process. The more showers you take, the more frequently this damage takes place and the less time your skin has to repair itself through natural oil production. This can result in dry, irritated and crackled skin

I wash my hair daily, otherwise it becomes extremely greasy, tangled, and limp. I have a friend who washes hers every three weeks. Different people need different levels of maintenance.

I always did that too but recently I read that washing your hair every day actually encourages increased oil production on the scalp.

Can you imagine 46? "Oooh yeah, rub that soap all over my dirty skin... yeah baby, do it again! AGAIN!!!"

#40, so then take cold showers and change your soap if it's a problem? You don't HAVE to take hot showers and there are a lot of soaps that dry out your skin, but there are other alternatives to those. And moisturize with lotion after every shower if it's such a problem. It really depends on each person as long as you're not damaging your body and you don't smell like hell.

For the record, water hydrates our skin. What do you mean it makes skin dry??

@40 Um no you're scrubbing off the already dead layer of skin that would have sloughed off anyway.. Soaps just aid in removing bacteria and dirt they don't "dissolve lipids" I don't know where you're getting your info, or what type of soap you're using, but check a credible source next time rather than yahoo answers. The crevices in the body should be cleaned daily to prevent build up of bacteria/ infection. Ever hear of smegma?

GamerPerson 19

Not really. If my sugar levels are too high, I go to the bathroom every 30 minutes. Since, naturally, (I HOPE people wash their hands) I wash my hands after I done, my skin starts to get rough. Even when lotions is applied. Sadly, it's just moisture topped with more moisture and it doesn't help. So, I CAN speak from experience that, yes, too much water is bad for your skin. However, I don't know from experience if the same can be said from showering to much. I can only theorized that it's a maybe. After all, who would honestly shower ever 30 minutes?

Sodapop40 21

Actually, my parents are both dermatologists, and this is just things I have picked up from them. You can even google it if you want. I guarantee you most, if not all websites would advise you not to shower daily. And if you smell like crap after only a day of not showering, there might be something wrong...

what does your spouse say to his parents calling you a "water wasting bitch"?If he's okay with that... :/

As a non-native English speaker, doesn't spouse mean somebody's children?

#58, spouse means somebody's husband or wife.

Are your in-laws French? Good gravy, do they want you to reek of B.O.? Do they reek of B.O.?

what high class in-laws you have there. NOT!!!!

Each person has different shower etiquette. If you are in their house for the time being then just reduce the time you spend in the shower while you stay. If this is your house then tell them to **** off.

If my parents had the audacity to say such things to my significant other, I would be tempted to throw them out of my house (or cut the visit short if I was at their home). The FML doesn't specify how you or your spouse reacted, but I think rude in-laws are the least of your problems if your spouse didn't immediately stand up for you and tell his/her parents that such disrespect would absolutely not be tolerated.

People have different routines - some need to shower every day, some don't. They shouldn't stick their nose in your business unless you're in their house and spend long time in the shower.

I don't want to know their essence of hygiene...

Nastorrian 11

Well that's just stupid. Prove them all wrong by starting to howl like a crazed monkey and slinging feces all over the place. Might get a little messy but hey. (Puts on shades) Shit happens. YYYEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!