This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By DogGoneIt - 22/01/2018 11:00 - Australia - Adelaide

Today, my dog became too old to eat dry food. A $9 bag used to last him 3 weeks. The equivalent in the cheapest canned food is $63. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 657
You deserved it 768

Top comments

You can make "gravy" from a 1/4 can of wet food to about 250 ml water, warm it up and pour over the dry. Softens it up and dogs love it.

If he’s anything like the dogs I’ve owned, he has made your life so great for so many years, you should be happy to suck it up and pay a lot to make his remaining time on Earth pleasant.

Comments

ivy.kitty3217 2

other comment I left is how to make puppy gruel but I'm sure this or something similar would work for older dogs as well. good luck ! 🐕https://youtu.be/LxR7QOpTQf8

You can make food for him fairly easily. I used to make a batch for the week, and freeze it. The only issue I found was a lot of the food I made didn't have enough fibre in it, so include something like weetabix or an equivalent

Canned pumpkin is awesome for this (just make sure there's nothing else in it - 100% pumpkin). For years I had to add a spoonful of pumpkin to my dog's food for extra fibre; she loved it.

A cheap coffee grinder (or a heavy duty blender) will pulverize the food and then you just have to pour some warm water over it, wait for a couple of minutes and it's good to go. If your dog needs medications you can grind it at the same time and you've solved two problems.

$9 dog food? Dude, I get that money can be tight, but holy crap. That's got to be some pretty low quality garbage dog food. Maybe this is the universe telling you to invest in some better nutrition for your puppr. Try buying a better quality food, and using some of the methods from these comments to make it edible for him.

Ashleyy P 6

I feel absolutely horrible for this dog. The amount of crap that was in that dog food had to be tremendous. Poor thing. My cat has to get special food from the vet and I can't really afford it but I make sure my cat has what he needs before I do. That's my responsibility.

$9 for 3 Weeks!?!?! what is it a Chihuahua!?!?! ours easily cost $20 a week each. dogs aren't supposed to live on the cheapest biscuits you can't find

add milk to the dry food to make it softer

That's not a great recommendation as most dogs are lactose intolerant.

sherbear86 21

Only if you want your dog to have terrible diarrhea!

Canned food is mostly water. Try a good quality dog food roll or mince instead. Or as others have said you can soften dry food. Just make sure you're feeding something designed for a mature dog.

Lora Wood 11

I have an old toothless dog. I take 2 pounds of ground turkey (the cheapest) cooked in some oil add 8 cups water bring to boil add 4 cups rice. Freeze in containers that hold 3-4 days supply. She has been eating this for years. She may be 16-17 years old! You can also pulverize the dry food in a blender and store tightly covered. Mix in water like instant cereal. Feed in a rounded bottom bowl so it can lick it out.

psycobunnymamafox 13

My dog had to have a special vet brand of dog food for sensitive stomachs it cost $80 a bag and would last her three weeks it was worth it so she was healthy. $9 a bag really dude/dudette do even care about your dog.

A $9 bag that lasts 3 weeks?! What on earth are you feeding your dog?? I buy a $60 bag (quite large) that lasts about a month and then feed her real food to supplement. There are cheaper options but those options are really bad to be feeding your animal...