This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By DogGoneIt - 22/01/2018 11:00 - Australia - Adelaide

Today, my dog became too old to eat dry food. A $9 bag used to last him 3 weeks. The equivalent in the cheapest canned food is $63. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 657
You deserved it 768

Top comments

You can make "gravy" from a 1/4 can of wet food to about 250 ml water, warm it up and pour over the dry. Softens it up and dogs love it.

If he’s anything like the dogs I’ve owned, he has made your life so great for so many years, you should be happy to suck it up and pay a lot to make his remaining time on Earth pleasant.

Comments

You can make "gravy" from a 1/4 can of wet food to about 250 ml water, warm it up and pour over the dry. Softens it up and dogs love it.

zeffra13 31

Other options are to soften the dry food with broth or even warm water. The trick is whether the dog will eat it that way.

My dog will eat anything as long as I put a spoon of cottage cheese in it - just as a tip if they don't take well to the new recipe immediatly

We did that as well, just let it the food sit for a while until it's soft enough and then give it to him/her

Too bad the OP can't use google and has to seek attention on a site like this for pity

Geez, that's crazy expensive. Back when I had my dog, the wet food we'd buy her cost only £10 ($13.88) for 24 tins. She was a smaller dog (Cocker Spaniel), so that would last her about 3 weeks. It wasn't even a supermarket's own brand either - leading, named brand. Obviously, if you have a larger dog, they'll eat more and the cost will go up, however.

If he’s anything like the dogs I’ve owned, he has made your life so great for so many years, you should be happy to suck it up and pay a lot to make his remaining time on Earth pleasant.

Exactly! Why have an animal if you're not willing to put money out and feed them decent food? My normal dog food is approximately $60 a month. I couldn't imagine the crap $9 would get you :-(

Put water in the dry food and let it soak for a bit before you give it to him.

Ashleyy P 6

Agreed. That's what happens when your pets get old. Continue to love your dog and make sure the rest of his days are peaceful and joyful.

spi_fml 6

You can also cook human food for your old friend. Many recipes can be found online and I’m sure they taste much better than canned food.

magnificentbastd 5

Make it then if money is the problem!?!

smarten up. you can add a little water to dry and soften it right up. or a small spoonful of canned and then a little water.

dog food prices mature with their age, st a 7 times rate

Dude, if you were feeding your dog food that cheap, that dog is not going to be very healthy. I buy my 3 big dogs food for $60 a bag and that lasts only a week but it's some of the healthiest stuff you can get but it's worth it to take batter care of your pups.

Different dogs have different needs. I feed my dog cheap store brand, my vet agrees that he's perfectly healthy and that it's good for him. Just because food is cheap doesn't mean it's bad. If they don't have allergies or special needs cheap is often perfectly fine.

There is a huge disagreement in the field of vet medicine because often vets are I'll trained in animal nutrition. That's why we get vets pedaling BS brands like Hills Science and Purina Prescription diets. Sometimes just doing the research on your own will teach you more. The issue is that unlike human doctors who specialize in specific fields, vets are expected to know everything about every type of animal they treat. It's ridiculous. And ultimately a vet is going to prioritize learning about cancer, common diseases, mixing and dosing, animal handling, emergency triage and so on over nutritional courses. Makes sense but leaves vets a very poor resource for animal nutrition.

ivy.kitty3217 2

https://youtu.be/LxR7QOpTQf8