By Darkandcold - 09/01/2013 19:23 - United Kingdom - Exeter

Today, my dad learned that it's possible to power a lightbulb with a potato. Since then, he's been going around the house removing all the plugs from the wall and plugging them into potatoes instead. He's absolutely baffled as to why it won't work. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 573
You deserved it 2 730

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Pft potatoes only go so far.. Now bananas...

FlamingTacos 7

Potatoes might be able to conduct electricity, but flaming tacos can do so much more.

Comments

He's not the brightest bulb in the pack.

perdix 29

Because the two blades of the plug are the same material. If you had a plug with a zinc blade and a copper blade, you'd get some faint light for a little while. It's all about dissimilar metals -- Volta discovered that.

If he actually gets it to work that will be awesome....how cool would it be to tell people that all your lights are powered by potatoes.

perdix 29

#21, you can get a Potato Clock kit, but a clock runs on very low voltage and very little current. Theoretically, you could run you lights on potatoes, but it would cost hundreds of times as much as paying your electric bill.

True it would cost quite alot, although you would be the coolest cat around town.

perdix 29

#58, that is, until the potatoes begin to rot. Of course, if you could get the potatoes to rot in just the right way, you'd make vodka, and you will attain an even higher level of coolness. You'd have green cred and drunk cred!

It's more like the OP's dad is missing the hard fact that potatoes don't generate AC..

starcrossddream 14

Thank you for explaining this perdix :)

I laughed pretty hard at this, especially since my 4 year old niece did the same a week ago.

I don't think 4 year olds should be touching plugs... You can never be too careful.

Thumb me down for sounding stupid, but I know I sure as hell would've tried it too.

I have done it.. I was bored and was like **** it.. took a sack off potatos and got enough wires to make a big group and tried to power my tv...

I saw it on an episode of "Bones"- they tried to charge a cel phone using potatoes to solve a crime during a blackout. I was like, I better buy potatoes next time we have a power outage lol

Chink5ever 9

Potatos can Make electricity. But in order to do that, wires and other things are involved.

I'm just imagining the OP's face when the found the first one. "Dafuq? Potato? What???"