By lazy pregnant girl - 05/07/2012 19:34 - United States

Today, my boyfriend told me that because he works fifty hours a week, I should be meeting an arbitrary quota of fifty hours of housework, and if I don't, I'm insensitive and ungrateful. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 804
You deserved it 10 262

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I wouldn't normally bash OP's significant other, but considering your name, I'd say he's either pulling your leg, or he's kind of a dick.

I would be happy with a girlfriend who did 5 hours of house work..

Comments

You should do just the things you need and leave his stuff alone. He can do it himself...jerk

Llamacod 11

yes and then he should spend money that he earned on stuff only for him because she can just get her own things

JustDerpin 11

you're pregnant, should you really be doing fifty hours of housework a week?

BubbleGrunge 18

Well, lazy pregnant girl, most woman would love a man who is working to take care of their family. I honestly feel if a woman is able to stay home with her family, then she should be able to keep a house clean as well. I understand you're pregnant but do are millions of woman who work, and take care of a family. Besides, once you pop it isn't going to get any easier.

That sounds pretty sexist. She doesn't sound ungrateful at all.

BubbleGrunge 18

How is that sexist? I'm a female first of all so you can believe if I got to STAY HOME and not have to work I would make sure my sweetie had a clean house and food to come home too.

My husband works. I stay home all day with our 18mo son and it's unspoken that it's my job to clean the house and cook since he busts his ass to provide for us. There's nothing sexist about it. If I were working and he weren't, he would take care of the house/our son. It's what's fair.

It's not that she had to do house work, I'm sure she's fine with that. It was the 50 HOURS of work that he expected that's the problem. I can clean my house to ******* perfection in 2 hours, there's no need for her to have to spend over 7 hours a day cleaning.

She's pregnant you insensitive ass wipe.

She's pregnant, I'm guessing maternity leave.

flutter4 7

22 that is a douche bag thing to say

Llamacod 11

80, I can't see the country of origin on my phones app so I'm going to assume we're talking the US. In the US maternity leave generally starts after the baby is born( as it does in most civilized countries that I'm aware of) so I'd say its a safe bet that, as op is still pregnant, it is not maternity leave.

Llamacod 11

78, I wasn't aware that pregnant people were unable to get a job, you anti-feminist wench

125- Places where I'm from will -NOT- hire a (after being told of, or if it's visible or suspected) pregnant woman. Who's going to hire someone who is undoubtedly going to demand paid leave in a few short months? I've been there, done that, worked my pregnant ass off just TRYING to get a job. I don't think the name-calling here was bloody necessary, either.

As well, some women go on maternity leave early due to the need for bed rest or for having a serious condition, like preeclampsia, that may complicate and harm the pregnancy.

Llamacod 11

so, anti-feminist wench is bad but it is ok call someone an "insensitive ass wipe"?

140, I was talking to both of you. Don't get pissy with me. And is that your ONLY response to what I've said...? :/..................... Jeeze.

myoukei 31

@123 uh are you serious? "Most civilized countries" have a way longer maternity leave then the US. Some even have paid leave for the dad. Look up Canada or any western European nation's maternity leave policy and you'll see that there's plenty of time to sit your ass out of work before you pop one.

Well it depends on how much house work you do...

Haha, he's probably not serious but he kinda has a point. I imagine he just means if you're not doing anything else all day then you should contribute to the household a similar amount to him. He's out working, you could at least keep the house in order. However, you need to tell him that that much housework is kinda impossible unless you have a mansion and whilst you're pregnant he has to cut you some slack.

I would be empathetic, but judging by your username, I think he's right.

I'm sure the lazy part of OP's name is sarcasm

He makes sense you know. Because he's doing work and your just sitting at home. It would be fair if you take care of the house and he takes care of the money.

Yes, but say the 50 hours a week is weekdays. He's expecting her to be cleaning the house for 10 hours every weekday. That's impossible unless she starts cleaning things that are already clean. I spend 15 hours a WEEK cleaning my house and it's spotless.

...just so he can mess it all up. Women are not maids. Also, if they're having sex, that should make up for a lot of those hours, even if you only last a couple minutes. Would Op's boyfriend prefer her going to work, but not having sex? I'm not saying that my statement is bullet proof, there are flaws, but this is ridiculous.

Llamacod 11

55, if having sex with your boyfriend is work then you A) may need to get yourself a new boyfriend because he isn't doing it right or B) get yourself a good therapist because you have a long road ahead trying to get over your sexual issues. Its just stupid trying to withhold sex as work as, unless you're a frigid bitch, women generally enjoy and desire sex as much or more than guys.

Seems like prostitution. Good advice.

If he's working 50 hours a week, you should understand him wanting to come home to a clean house. I'm not saying you should be the only one doing all the house work (I work 45+ myself) but understand his frustration. Especially if he thinks you do nothing all day except watch soap operas. If you clean as you go instead of letting things pile up, it's a lot easier. Sorry, I'm a clean freak. I can't function in clutter!

Well when your not pregnant and if you don't have a job then you should be doing that

OP will have a baby to look after then...which isn't as easy a job as people seem to think it should be. Not that she shouldn't do any housework once she has a baby, but sometimes it's nice to have your husband come home and help out with the housework when you've had a full day of looking after a crying, pooping, and puking baby.