By ninnang - 09/07/2014 21:37 - United States - Honolulu

Today, my boss delivered some flowers and a sympathy card signed by everyone in the office to my cubicle. The card said, "Sorry your mom died". My mom isn't dead. I don't know where they got the idea from and no one believes me. They said that denial is part of grieving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 073
You deserved it 3 514

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Damn, I'm gonna miss her, she was a great woman.

Bring her into the office to meet your coworkers. That'll scare the shit out of them.

Comments

I say go with it, milk this for all it is worth, see what else you can squeeze out of these people, paid time off work?

Truth will out eventually and make OP look like a dick.

And what happens after everyone finds out he/she's lying?

What kind of people do you work with?!

You'd pretend your mother is dead just for some paid time off? That's low

If all these people are that stupid including her boss to believe everybody else but her without any proof including an Obituary. They deserve to be taken advantage of.

#19 So what happens when OP's mother actually dies and they are penalised for taking bereavement leave twice?

badluckalex 23

@1 its most likely just a prank

iLike2Teabag 27

"They deserve to be taken advantage of" Nobody deserves to be taken advantage of, especially those people who are showing that they care.

91hayek 31

It would be really really hard not to do this if there was a hot coworker who was about to give me sympathy sex. MA THE MEATLOAF!

incoherentrmblr 21

It could be a prank. You could send them video evidence of you and your mom.

#15 - Coworkers whose hearts are in the right place. Just not their brains.

#24 , what kind of sick prank is that?

Damn, I'm gonna miss her, she was a great woman.

Wait a year or so and then bring her to work with you and say that you finally managed to bring her back.

Or just have her wear white make up and have OP look completely oblivious to the fact she is there.

football98_fml 20

Find out who started the rumor, and why?

If someone is spreading rumours about you, this one is very low.

It sounds more like a prank to me seeing that nobody believes OP when they say she's not dead. If someone told me their parent wasn't dead I would believe them and not say its denial. Although, using a death in the family as a prank is low. I could be wrong though, and I guess there is a possibility the entire office is just idiots for not believing OP.

Sounds like the office trolls are at it again to me. FYL OP.

Bring her into the office to meet your coworkers. That'll scare the shit out of them.

shaww 28

Create a big ritual-type of performance before she walks in to scare them even more

Have her walk around the office like a zombie. also, have her say "Brrrrrraaaaaaainnnnnssss! "

If she does, she'll be the coolest mom ever. Get back at the prankster OP.

I was gonna say have her snap a picture of herself next to something with the current date and time on it, but that idea is even better. Heck when she visits have her take the sympathy and flowers with her. Have her be like "these are mine now"

obviously they're just trying to help, but going the wrong way about it.

inner_peace 19

Going the wrong way about what? If anything, they seem to be just misinformed but are showing genuine sympathy. They're going about things the right way, but are misinformed on what's happening

inner_peace, I love your profile picture

in my opinion, if i try to tell someone my mom isnt dead, i expect them to believe me, not tell me "its all part of the grieving stage, youre just in denial"

could be a prank? they're all in on it? i agree it isn't a very good one. but they've done a good job of freaking you out!

Agreed. The fact that no one believes OP when they say their mom is alive and that the coworkers are all saying Op's in denial makes it sound like a prank to me.

I would try finding a new job because I wouldn't like someone telling me that.

Make sure they're not pranking you and have your mom bring you lunch...