By Anonymous - 07/04/2014 17:43 - Canada - Ottawa

Today, in an attempt to potty train my step-son, my boyfriend and I put underwear on him, hoping that when he peed himself, he would realize using the potty is the way to go. Instead, he peed while sitting on the couch, got up, took off the underwear, and then switched seats. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 667
You deserved it 13 477

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Possibly not the brightest idea in the first place. I don't see how the situation could have ended without a big mess.

It will definitely involve some messes but is actually a very good way to potty train! They don't like being wet and eventually learn to stop peeing in their pants.

Not sure why 30 got thumbed down, she's totally right. Worked in many nurseries and they all say the same thing. Too many parents let kids wear diapers or diaper pants because they don't think they're ready to potty train but the truth is, they'll never be ready if they always wear them because they never feel uncomfortable and realise they need to control themselves. As soon as children start to recognise that 'downstairs feels funny' feeling they should be moving on to pants, at least during the day. It can be messy but, well, kids often are.

But you also have to teach them what the toilet is for and remind them to try to use it before they wet themselves... You can't just stick them into underwear and let them figure it out themselves. I mean, obviously you can, but why make it that much harder and messier if you can help things along instead? So my question is, was that all OP planned to do, hope he'd figure it out himself? Or was that just one part of the plan?

I am pretty sure OP did also explain the potty/toilet part of toilet training....it would make no sense to force a child to wet themselves with no other alternative. Plus that's just cruel.

There are some dim bulbs in the FML community today. 19 had a brilliant pun and either 51 missed it or pretended to. For the slow learners: "the kid is going places" i.e. he's smart to solve a problem creatively and will go far in life. "The kid is going places" as in, going pee in places on the couch which is not a smart thing to do. Second interpretation contradicts the first. Brilliant, 19!! I commend you on your wordsmith ability.

Your getting downvotes for some reason, but that was my EXACT thought. Step son? Boyfriend?

lb0812 18

I'll third that motion. I was curious about that as well.

ileenefudge 29

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by this. OP, how can he be your stepson but then the person you are dating is just a boyfriend? Unless you are getting married or plan on it sometime soon, wouldn't the kid just be his? Because I'm not seeing the connection here and I was hoping it wasn't just me who was confused about this.

58 and 61, OP's probably gotten used to calling the kid her stepson for convenience's sake. When my father and his now-wife were merely engaged, I called her my stepmother and her sons my stepbrothers because those terms were easier to say than "my dad's fiancée" and "my dad's fiancée's sons." People likely know exactly what OP means by calling the kid her stepson without having to draw a verbal diagram.

TheDrifter 23

Or her husband works out of town. Someone on the side when a spouse is gone long periods of time is far more common than many people think.

My boyfriend and I have been together most of his son's life and I call him my stepson. even though we aren't by law married, we do everything like a married couple. We just have our reasons to not tie the knot in the law's eyes. It doesn't make me love his son any less and my relationship will not change with him if we do end up getting married. Welcome to modern days. It's more common than you think.

That would piss me off no offense. If my ex started dating a girl and then weren't married but she called my kid her "stepson" I would be outrageously offended. I think THATS more common than you think. If you had kids of your own you'd understand better

My stepson' s mom even calls me his step mom. It all depends on the situation I guess. I would never do anything in regards to their son to cause problems between their coparenting. Every situation is different.

sounds like he's goin to be a lazy fat bastard

sounds like you're a lazy fat bastard. maybe you should stop projecting your insecurities

That's actually kinda cute & funny =) I'd just laugh it off, but not stop training him. Keep trying with other ways!

kingdomgirl94 29

my dad taught my brothers to stand and pee in the toilet by tossing a cheerio into the toilet and getting them to aim at it. It became like a game and they learned pretty fast.

I can see him acting like Ricky Bobby's son!

SaharaZinc 14

How is he your step son if you and your boyfriend aren't married?

Maybe she's been around for a long time. With my mom and step dad, he was in my life for 10 years before they got married but I still considered him like a dad long before that.

Maybe she's been around for a long time. With my mom and step dad, he was in my life for 10 years before they got married but I still considered him like a dad long before that.

Sorry, the app closed itself out when I commented so I guess it just had to do it twice.

My step dad and mom got married last year but I've called him dad since I was 7. And he calls me his daughter. Marriage is not a requirement for a family. :)

Because "stepson" is more convenient to say than "my boyfriend's son."

for real? you never thought a kid might find his way around things? never in a million years

I wish my life was as care free as his. Keep trying. He'll get it one day.