By UnluckyInk - 18/02/2013 08:50 - United States - Manlius

Spicy
Today, I went in to get my first tattoo. I'd put a lot of thought into it and was really excited when the day came. Long story short, the Celtic knot I'd gotten turned out to have an alternate meaning of "female sex slave." The faces my very Irish family made were beyond words. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 319
You deserved it 49 700

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's why you should know what the tattoo means first!

You should also get a 4-leaf clover for food luck

Comments

fischerxx 10

One more reason to design your own

Apparently you didn't put enough thought.

If the meaning behind the tattoo wasn't what you put the most thought into, then what part of it DID you think through?

zilla52 12

There is no celtic knot with that meaning. If it is the purity cross, then it has to be forcefully tattooed upon said slave, and contain no decorative designs. I believe you were lied to.

TheDrifter 23

So if it's an unadorned purity cross, it would appear to be a slave tattoo to those who do not know whether it was forcibly applied? It seems you have over thought things and missed the point of the fml.

SayPeanuts 29

I'm Irish and I've never heard of that and I know a few tattoo artists and they've never mentioned Celtic knots having any other meaning. They're just pictures. But if there is a design that doubles as a symbol for "female sex slave", which I really doubt, I don't think many people would know what it means unless they're interested in that kind of thing. You should research tattoos fully before getting them done. That's just common sense.

Sounds as if your family just wasn't fond of the fact you got a tattoo, period.