By Kitty - 01/06/2009 18:49 - United States

Today, I was working as a waitress at this pub. It was dead. After 4 hours I had only made 5$ in tips. A friendly couple came in and complimented EVERYTHING down to the freshness of the lemons in their tea. The bill came to $50. They left me a $5 gift card to starbucks. I don't drink coffee. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 640
You deserved it 7 653

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, there's tea and pastries there, too, yanno. I always get a Chai when I go there. No reason to be completely thankless.

Ooh, burn! I was tipped with toothbrushes once. Hey cool, number 1 =D

Comments

Pfft, I think it was sweet they gave you a gift card. XD At least it's something.

don't complain. alot of people drink coffee its not like they knew your personal preference. its better than nothing.

$5 cant get you anything good there, fyl

iluvu21396 0

at least it was a nice gesture. they could've left you nothing. or you could've been me, the other day at work it was so busy and this bitch came in and she was SO rude and she clicked her fingers at me. People shouldn't treat people like that.

bridgetheartsyou 0

they have like food there. and frappucinos without coffee stuff.

Have some muffins or cookies, you ungrateful ****!

ohhhhshizzz 0

#22: How is the OP being selfish? Do you live in America[where waitresses here LIVE on their tips?] $50 is A LOT of money, for a $5 GIFT CARD. Come on, that Gift Card was probably a GIFT to THEM! Atleast 10 bucks come one. If you have $50 to spend out to dinner then I think you have enough to tip. OP that sucks, you should sell it. Or atleast go to Starbucks, I'm pretty sure they have more than coffee.

Maybe op gave shit service and they didn't want to say anything since they complimented everything when they first showed up. Maybe they were foreign? Not everyone knows waitresses live of their tips when your visiting a new country.. Where I come from you get tiped if you're doing a good job, not because you have to. Makes the service better..

chimmy 0

Everyone who commented that the OP is ungrateful is ridiculous. Tips are NOT optional... they are part of a server's compensation. A giftcard is NOT acceptable in lieu of money, especially when that giftcard is too an expensive coffeehouse. (Many people are foregoing Starbucks anyways in the recession.) I'd like to see how you would feel if your employer decided to take a large chunk of your salary and replace it with less valuable gift card to a store you don't frequent. Be quiet. FYL, OP.

Brentamous 0

i got a card saying jesus will save you and an address on it. and the giftcard? maybe you should start drinking coffee.