By Kitty - 01/06/2009 18:49 - United States

Today, I was working as a waitress at this pub. It was dead. After 4 hours I had only made 5$ in tips. A friendly couple came in and complimented EVERYTHING down to the freshness of the lemons in their tea. The bill came to $50. They left me a $5 gift card to starbucks. I don't drink coffee. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 640
You deserved it 7 653

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, there's tea and pastries there, too, yanno. I always get a Chai when I go there. No reason to be completely thankless.

Ooh, burn! I was tipped with toothbrushes once. Hey cool, number 1 =D

Comments

They are not obligated to tip you a single dime.

dg72592_fml 0

and everyone saying its not mandatory, yeah its not mandatory its just POLITE. it's not mandatory to say "please" and "thank you" either, people just do it to be friendly and courteous. what a concept.

Geez at least they tipped you. Ever heard of being thankful?

Kudos to #93. Yeah, I don't see oncologists getting tipped for finding that cancer before it was too late. A lot of places don't even allow tips or anything.

Well aren't you grateful.... Re-tip it or something.

ohhhhshizzz 0

#82: Do you live in America? You would realize that tipping is to compensate for the fact that waitors/waitressess don't get minimun wage. They have to pay the cooks & bus boys and barely come out on top themselves. And those of you who are saying, you chose the profession. Uh, not necessarily. This is a recession, and a job IS a ******* job. If the older couple couldn't afford to tip but could pay $50 at a pub, then they could drag their asses to McDonalds.

When a waitress was really awful at a popular (but uncrowded) restaurant, my friend and I wrote on the Tip line: Tip: "Never Shake a Baby". lol.

How can a pub be dead? Last time I checked a building was an inanimate object.

Wow. I can not believe everyone here saying the OP is being ungrateful. Tipping is the norm in America, and you should always tip at least 15% unless the service is just terrible. I am a teenager and we have a rep of being terrible tippers, and I rarely tip less that 20%.

CourtneeMalakian 0

hey dont be an ungreatful bitch be happy you got ANYTHING at all and starbucks serves more than coffee they have excellent hot cocoa and hot and cold tea