By BrokeInLove - 30/06/2009 19:55 - France

Today, I was shopping for rings with my fiancée. We spent over 2 hours selecting the perfect ring and diamond to match. When filling out the paperwork I discovered I left my wallet at home. She had to pay the 20% down payment for the ring. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 217
You deserved it 52 040

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ouch, that sucks but you can always pay her back.

Comments

i dont get it.... just pay her back. done. :P ?

Why would you have to pay for it all anyway? Isn't marriage supposed to be based on equality?

Yeah i Know exactly what you are saying, when you pool the checking account there will be no record of who paid :-p.

you put the words right out of my mouth!

defying_gravity8 0

i understand what you mean but to be honest, HE proposed to her. I thought it was always tradition for a man to pay for the engagement ring & wedding ring (or split the cost of the wedding ring [that's what my sister did]), and the woman pays for the man's wedding ring; after that comes the sharing of financial responsibilities...or maybe I'm just old fashioned. @OP: FYL...don't sweat it, you guys will be so stressed planning the wedding that you won't even remember it. Congrats!!!

To #14 & #25, the man is supposed to pay the entire cost of his fiancee's engagement ring, not for some chauvinistic reason, but because it is his gift to her. Even if a couple has been married 50 years with joint checking accounts, it's still in poor taste to make your spouse pay for a gift to themselves.

Me and my boyfriend already agreed that he's paying for the engagement ring [after all, it's supposed to be a surprise, right?], but we're going to pay for everything else together. I don't expect him to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for 2 rings for me and I just pay for a simple band for him.

Prawn_fml 2

defying gravity: How do you know he was the one who proposed? I'm not all up to date with foreign customs; is it because she was the one getting a ring? sickinlove: How about you get him a real ring instead of a band, then? Something that fits with yours, at least.

boatkicker 4

Guy pays for rings. Girl (or girls family) pays for the actual wedding (ceremony, reception, etc.)

Guess I missed that memo... i paid for everything...

If it makes you feel any better... We found out my finace had a $500 limit on his card when we got my ring... I had to pay the rest of what was left that needed to be paid...

Gagle 0

I paid for half of mine... I don't see an issue with it....

Cant really see how this is a FML. Sure you may have been slightly embarassed and emasculated but... hey, youre getting married.

Ha, at least it's a funny story to tell the grandkids and you can laugh about it. Dorky things like that happen and she's going to experience more of it during the course of your married life.

jeffers 0

don't really see how this is an FML. You're getting married, her money is your money and vice versa

MeganH0LLYW00D 0

******* pay her back then. How ******* hard is that. Retard.

Eresbel 0

Why does it even matter? It's superficial if she gets upset and it's not like she's buying YOU a diamond engagement ring.

Freud says there are no mistakes. You "left" your wallet at home because, deep down, you don't really want to marry the bitch. Either you are gay or you want to marry your mother.

STFU, that is totally idiotic, there are mistakes and there is such thing as forgetting.

lmmmr 0

Right, because according to Freud he actually wants to marry his mother. Much more reasonable.

Dr. Freud would like to know why you two are getting so defensive. Hmmmmmm?