By Professionally Curtious - 09/07/2017 18:30

Today, I was offered my dream job. When I gave my current employer my 2+ weeks notice so they'd have time to find a replacement, I was told to pack up and leave immediately. Now I'm out a month's pay because I gave notice instead of just leaving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 062
You deserved it 431

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sadly in a lot of companies this is the norm or at least relatively common. I watched my ex company walk several people out the door for giving notice. Then laughed when they got mad at me for giving 2 weeks notice because they weren't going to be able to replace me in 2 weeks and said I should have let them know earlier. Why would I?

I hear of this happening a lot now. People are getting so petty, I don't think it is even worth it to do the courtesy anymore, which is sad.

Comments

Generally speaking, in most states in the USA unless you have an employment contract, you can be fired for any reason, or without a reason. It is not that uncommon to immediately walk out an employee who is going to work for a competitor. Generally speaking, walked out the door or not, notice or not, most companies pay your back pay and any faction your earned plus two weeks if you are fired. This is why you never, ever give more than two weeks notice. As I see it, if you get paid for your final two weeks but do not have to show up it's a win for you. But that never quite happened to me in my career, even when I wished it had.

You can file for unemployment probably because you were terminated early without cause

Call your new job pronto, see if they'd be interested in you getting started right away!

Gwengreen 6

I must be missing something here... you gave two weeks notice so now you are out of that two weeks pay. How are you missing the whole month? Are they with holding two weeks you already worked? Thats not legal.

It may be that instead of being paid bi-weekly that they get paid on a monthly basis

They said "2+ weeks." They must have given a month notice to be nice to the company and give them plenty of time to find a replacement.

I feel sorry for you. These are the things that make you think that indeed no good deed goes ever unpunished.

xoxoblondee 31

that's why it isn't required in most jobs to give a two week notice, but rather a courtesy for the employer. If you work a retail or fast food job, basically quit the day they assign hours. Otherwise, I give notice on Monday that it's the last week at the soonest.

1. Contact your former employer's HR department. It's possible that what your boss did was contrary to company policy, and you might get two weeks' pay out of them and HR might have a word with your former boss warning him to do the right thing in the future. 2. This might be a long shot, but are you absolutely certain that you're fired and being given no severance? I work as a systems administrator and I've heard of people in my field giving 2 weeks' notice and being fired on the spot with 2 weeks' severance pay, because it's too risky to allow them to continue to have access to sensitive systems and information when they're short-timers. 3. Contact your new employers, tell them what happened, and let them know you're available to start earlier than planned. Maybe they can onboard you ahead of schedule. 4. If you can't get any sort of severance out of your former employers, tell your former coworkers what happened. There are also websites where employees can review their employers (not sure if I can name them) where you can post the story as part of a review. This is the kind of thing that will lead people to quit their jobs with no notice in the future.

blackbird8 9

I didn't know this, but apparently a lot of companies have a thing called an "exit interview." This is where you tell them why you're leaving, etc. Sometimes HR contacts you, but sometimes you have to contact them and request one. I'd definitely request one. It sounds like they're really crummy people and they shouldn't be able to do this to you. Heck, leave the company a 1 star google review and complain there, too! Future employees should know how they may be treated. (But that will definitely burn the bridge.)

You can collect the unemployment for those two weeks. Even though you quit, you gave notice, so they will have to pay. You may be denied at first becuase they will say you quit, but you appeal and tell them you gave notice. You win will in the end.