By bdogge99 - 02/04/2012 05:59 - United States - Seattle

Today, I was at the dentist. During my check-up, he recommended a dermatologist. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 027
You deserved it 2 947

Same thing different taste

Top comments

PuffDaddy395 3

Your dentist should have been on the receiving end of a swift kick to the balls. "Oh sorry Doc, you must have hit a nerve."

Comments

lululu333 7

No excuse to recommend something that isn't their job to do. Not professional, at least it isn't for me. FYL

Really? So the dentist, who is leaning over you with his face 5 inches from yours, notices that you have acne, and you think recommending a dermatologist is unprofessional? If I'm operating on a patient who was shot in the abdomen and I see that his heart also has a hole in it, should I just ignore it because it's not my job? Or should I perhaps call a cardiac surgeon to help me? Sometimes medical professionals see things that are outside their area of expertise, yet need help. It is well within our duty to advise the patient to seek assistance.

RedPillSucks 31

I agree. Quite a few doctors will recommend one see a specialist that covers a totally different field of medicine. My dentist always does some weird check for thyroid cancer and other stuff (I think I got that right). If she had found something, she would suggest seeing another doctor.

lululu333 7

There are exceptions if the patient's life could be in danger. But if I go to the dentist, I expect the dentist to recommend how to keep well my teeth since I payed for that and they also have knowledge about my personal history of cavity etc, things about their field. Not about something that they don't know about, I could have already gone or planed to go to the dermatologist and the dentist would not know. That recommendation is really unnecessary if I didn't asked and payed for it and is out of their professional expertise.

Torva_fml 16

Thank you doc... As I posted above (in response to #5) doctors have every right to recommend someone who specializes in a different field. Although, I'm wondering why everyone is saying acne... That's not the only reason a person should visit a dermatologist... But whatever, I guess it sounds logical.

I've had my neurologist refer me to other specialists based on problems I had both related and unrelated to the medical condition I saw him for. I've also had a primary care physician test me for Lupus based in a face rash, but when that was negative, didn't refer me to a dermatologist which irked me. It isn't "none of his business" when his business is healthcare. A dentist just specializes in the teeth.

Murdersquirrel and lululu333 - are you dentists? No? Then listen carefully. A dentist does NOT just specialise in teeth. That may be his main concern, but they also know about diseases of the rest of the mouth and jaw. Your dentist ought to do a full oral examination during every checkup, and if he doesn't, he isn't doing his job fully. He does not, however, do surgery if an oral cancer is found. If he found one he would...wait for it...REFER YOU TO A SPECIALIST. Shocked? Don't be. We find things in patients all the time that we may not treat, but we would be remiss if we didn't refer you to the right person. A dentist, believe it or not, is a health care professional, and this one was just doing his damned job.

23 - So in addition to the bag of swag the dentist gives you after a checkup, you get free, constructive advice… and you're complaining??

lululu333 7

Doc, wasn't sure of the facts, just what I thought, thanks for taking time in explaining.

lululu333 7

Not all of us care or want free constructive advice that wasn't asked. But if they give it because is their job, then that's understandable.

The dentist isn't telling OP to wear different pants because it'll match his shirt better. This isn't constructive advice - its medical advice. Big difference.

If it IS acne, and OP was not bothered about it prior to the dentist appointment, then it's a little bit unnecessary to bring up. Acne is not dangerous, only embarrassing to some people. OP might now feel totally self conscious over something he/she had not been bothered by before. I realize this is an assumption, but if it is acne I think he could have shut his mouth about it. If he said "I notice you have a little bit of acne around this area - is this something that bothers you?" and then shut up if OP said no that would be a little more acceptable. So we don't know how it all went down or what OP was advised for, but as a person that was troubled by acne for years I would have been hurt and angry about the dentist pointing it out as it is not something health threatening. "Yes, I've seen a dermatologist, loads of them - duh!!" she snapped and ran out crying

DocBastard, if it is acne, how is it medical advice? It is not a health threat, only a threat to ones self esteem - in which the dentist may have severely worsened. Are doctors and dentists obliged to advice clients to specialists because of their exterior look when it was not the cause they came for? "I really recommend you see a plastic surgeon for that nose, and perhaps get some breast enhancement. Don't worry, it's medical advice". Oh Doc, I really hope you haven't said what you said on the basis of probable acne. It would upset me.

Sorry Bastard, it is very unprofessional considering the patients acne is not life threatening. What IF your patient suffers from depression, and their acne adds onto their depression, you still think it is professional to point out their pimples and recommend a specialist for it? If you're a dentist and pimples gross you out, wear a medical mask when you get very close to their face. Otherwise keep quiet about it, unless they ask for a recommendation ofcourse.

Hellryu and purrfume - what the **** are you two rambling about? When the hell did I (or OP, for that matter) say ANYTHING about acne? Go back and read my comments again. Do I mention acne? No. Does OP mention acne? NO. Do YOU TWO mention acne? Yes. For all you know, the dentist may have seen something that looked like a skin cancer on her cheek. Is that dangerous? Yes. It's potentially life-threatening. YOU'RE the ones who are assuming it's acne, not I. I was assuming it was something more serious. The only ones who should keep quiet here is you two.

"Really? So the dentist, who is leaning over you with his face 5 inches from yours, notices that you have acne, and you think recommending a dermatologist is unprofessional?" You did talk about acne.

Oopsy...yes I did. My apologies for that. *hangs head in shame* I shall now cease my rant. You've won this time, damn you! To be fair, I shouldn't have assumed acne, and neither should anyone else.

randomhangul 4

To be completely fair I'm taking a medical sciences class, and though I'm no where near the expertise that Doc has, I have learned that all systems in the human body are linked to one another. If op has a hormone imbalance or perhaps an unsanitary face it could very well affect op's oral care. Be it a disease of sorts or just having an access amount of grossness. I wouldn't get offended if my dentist mentioned it, every doctor goes through the same basic classes, so all doctors know a little bit about everything. Just wanted to throw my two cents in there... sorry x(

neelhsa 0

It all depends. He didn't mention what was on his face. I'm thinking it's just normal acne, the acne everyone gets once in a while. And it's okay for dentists to recommend other physicians, but if that dentist told him in a criticizing, laughing matter way, then that's a different story.

laurenobrien 4

Maybe it's time for you to start brushing your teeth

1) He said Check-up. You know, when you go to your dentist every 6 months to every year to check on your teeth to see how they're doing. 2) It was never mentioned in the FML that OP has bad teeth and needs to brush more often.

Torva_fml 16

Hahaha!!! Good joke!! Good thing this was obviously sarcasm, and not you being serious... Surely? Dermatologists are doctors that work with skin, just if you didn't know, if the dentist suggested a skin doctor, I don't think that's the same as telling OP to brush more.... Just clarifying, thanks.

laurenobrien 4

I was obviously being sarcastic, sorry people cannot read sarcasm

The thing about sarcasm is it should make sense...

Holy shit torva just stop. None of your comments are being thumbed up or anything so just stop. Your comments are annoying.

How does this even relate to the FML?

muffinXmonster 12

You should have bit his finger

part of the teeth are covered with skin/mucosa called Gingiva.

BunBunBabe 8

Did you tell him where to go to get the best lessons on manners and etiquette?

Torva_fml 16

Why would he need that? He was trying to be helpful. Some doctors are just blunt, and tell you what they're thinking. It's their job. An plus, OP's mouth was full with tools.

BunBunBabe 8

It's be one thing to suggest an orthodontist because that field is related, but what he said and did was completely unprofessional

koolkat27 13

Torva, just stfu. We all get that you think this dentist was doing the right thing, but sometimes, things are just better left unsaid, especially things as embarassing and rude as what the dentist said.

Torva_fml 16

Yea... Me too.... Just hopeful he was done working in Op's mouth before popping any pimples (if were still going along with your scenario).

Torva_fml 16

Killing me..... Mental image... I'm just imagining a pimple the size of a baseball, Lol, so gross...

neelhsa 0

Everyone has different skin. I used to break out a lot, but lemon really helps MY skin. Just don't over use anything, because your skin needs the natural oil at times, just like hair. You should try different products to see what will work for you, but I recommend to just stick to water and soap. Every morning, every night. But if you're talking about your gums, then I dunno. Lol. Gargle whiskey maybe. :]

Comet_Candy 23

An occasional exfoliation has been known to do some good. But too much of anything is ALWAYS a bad idea.

ImSoEffedUp 10

Dayum.... U must have real bad acne.... Don't try proactive though...it doesn't work...

Don't facepalm. It will give you pimples.