By I was just following orders! - 04/10/2018 12:00

Today, I visited my girlfriend in the preschool she's interning at. She asked me to continue reading The Little Mermaid to her class, handing me the book. After the story, the whole class started to cry. She never told me to sugarcoat the ending and lie, Disney-style. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 283
You deserved it 594

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Not going to lie, when I read "Today, I visited my girlfriend in the preschool", I thought this story was going somewhere completely different.

It happens - she has now learned that you consume each and every media you present to children thoroughly in advance to avoid this. This is a good lesson if she will be working with children in the future. (And if she was aware of how the original version differed from the Disney Happy End, it's kind of on her for not instructing you or provide you with an alternative ending.) On the other hand, a lot of times children just pick up from your own displayed emotions. When I took my son to the screening of The Lion King, there was a mother with her daughter next to us. Now, Mufasa dying is a sad scene. But it takes like two minutes and is followed by the hyenas crashing into the thornbushes. So if you just say nothing and let the kids handle their own feeling for a couple seconds before the next comic relief scene distracts them again, everything is fine. But if you do it like this mum and lean over to hug your kid, sniffling "Oh it's fine the big lion is just sleeping I'm sure he's not dead" that kid cries, because mum is upset. So you might not even need to sugarcoat the ending of the little mermaid, just stay calm and matter-of-factly, the ending is very philosophical anyways and goes over most kids' heads. But if you or your gf act upset about it, the infectious crying starts. :/ Anyways it was probably a teaching moment for her as an intern working with kids in any direction, take it as such.

Comments

Why is a preschool allowing an intern to let her boyfriend in to read a book to children???

She's an intern and she's already palming off her duties onto a randomer? (Sprry OP but to the school that's what you are!) She's not gona last long...

Nhayaa 21

I'm wondering if the people who hit the chocked reaction dit it because of the FML or because they didn't know there was a different "dead ending" they never heard of...

anniemeece 23

This entire FML is confusing to me, from start to finish. a) You visited your girlfriend while she was working with children? And they let you just come into the classroom? With children? While your girlfriend was working? b) She gave you a job to do? During her internship? And they let a random person read to the kids? c) She gave you the original Little Mermaid to read? Why was that even there, if that's not what they intended to share with the kids?

You just asked every question that was rambling around in my mind for the last 5 minutes.

even still the thought had to have been swimming around in your mind😂

mehimhere 11
AxelRose 6

I almost want to count this as an accomplishment. But I bet you're probably in hot water right now so that's unfortunate and really awkward.