By Max - 30/01/2017 12:00 - United States - Bluffton

Today, I tried to grab a coffee at the McDonald's drive-thru on my way home from work, but as I drove away from the restaurant a kid darted across the parking lot right in front of me. I had to slam hard on my brakes to avoid hitting him, in the process spilling my hot coffee all over my jeans. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 088
You deserved it 658

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well it beats the hell out of writing an FML about running over the kid and spilling hot coffee on yourself at the same time. Good on you for paying attention while driving, unlike some.

I'm not sure how anyone thinks this is a YDI? OP stopped the car so they didn't hit a child, how can they deserve something bad for that?

Comments

I'm not sure how anyone thinks this is a YDI? OP stopped the car so they didn't hit a child, how can they deserve something bad for that?

Most times people accidentally hit YDI.

Some would say how fast one was going in a parking lot.

steeck1 6

You'd be surprised how many are among us, walking around with no common sense or empathy.

Well it beats the hell out of writing an FML about running over the kid and spilling hot coffee on yourself at the same time. Good on you for paying attention while driving, unlike some.

jcash52426 5

Sorry bro thanks for not hitting me!!!!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Going from 3 miles an hour to a dead stop can still be called "slamming on the breaks," and it can still spill a coffee.

I hope you weren't too badly burned by the coffee!

How about keeping the lid on the coffee and using the cup holder while maneuvering in the parking lot? You did deserve it. Your action allowed this to happen.

andsoitends 21

I agree, coffee (or any liquid) should be in the cup holder while driving, even in a parking lot, and not in your lap. YDI for that. Other than that, good job breaking when necessary even though you knew you were going to spill your coffee. Kudos.

Cup holders are sometimes positioned high on the dash- if the car has that kind of design, and you brake, drinks splatter. It also doesn't say anywhere that he was holding it when it happened.

Are you going to sue McDonald's for burning your lap?

Are you going to sue McDonald's for burning your lap?

I know enough about driving to know you were doing something wrong to have coffee spill that much. Put the coffee down, then go forward. Inertia is real and you learned how it works now eh? Control driving is the difference between coffee in your cup or your lap

YDI for breaking in the first place, you could have taught the kid a valuable life lesson but chose not to, poor form on your part. YDI x2 for keeping hot liquid in your lap while driving, that's just begging for trouble.

Alup132 22

Yeah, teach the kid what happens if you injure a kid, or even kill him because he made a mistake like kids do. That seems logical, #7401905

You do realize you are advocating for vehicular assault, assault, battery, and potential vehicular manslaughter or even out right murder charges #7401905? Hitting someone with your car because you refuse to brake in order to "teach a lesson" is a malicious and illegal act, and if you actually think that is moral behavior, you need to be out somewhere FAR away from the rest of society. Or, at the very least, like you should never be allowed to operate a ton or more of metal that becomes a deadly weapon thanks to physics when used by someone who doesn't give a shit that they could kill someone by actively attempting to do harm using the vehicle.

archerbea 4

Uh, at least you didn't kill the kid

leximichelle 13

If you had to slam on the brakes, you were going too fast in the parking lot AND. not paying attention to your surroundings and knowing that people were even walking around in it. Can’t see how you don’t deserve it.