By Anonymous - 11/09/2010 23:36 - United States

Today, I talked to my boss about scheduling my urgently needed surgery. She asked me to wait until after Christmas, and told me that I should use vacation time instead of sick leave. She's also not going to give me the total paid time off my contract specifies, because it's "inconvenient." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 040
You deserved it 2 336

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ummm...she can't do that. Contracts are legally binding. Unless there's a loophole she's exploiting.

Legal action would be a good idea for you right about now.

Comments

FMLA, Family Medical Leave Act. she can't legally do that.

FMLA may not protect leave pay or vacation days. It's got a lot of loopholes and restrictions too. Assuming the company is privately owned, if OP's only part-time, has worked there for under a year, or if they employ less than 50 full-timers, it doesn't apply at all in most states.

Before you do anything, contact your human resources department or your union rep if you have one. Your boss has no legal right to go against your contract.

Blacksmokehick 0

she cant do that, if it is in a signed contract, she has to. sue the company then.

she cant do that. As long as you get a note from Doc she can't say much of anything.

HIPPA, FMLA, ILLEGAL! get ur ****** surgery schedule and if she docs ur pay, get an attonery and sue her ass! she is 100% breaking the law!

I would say sue and quit but it's pretty hard to find a job these days... So sue for as much as you can.

And if you don't get an attorney to enforce your employment contract you're a complete moron.

If it's in the contract, it's binding. Besides that, there's a thing in America called FMLA that allows you to take time off whenever you, a spouse, a child, or a parent becomes ill. You can't be fired for any reason. And people wonder why we need unions.

Again, FMLA may not apply. I explained why under #51.