By Anonymous - 29/02/2016 22:56 - United States - San Bruno

Today, I hung out with some old friends for the first time since losing about 50 pounds, going from clinically obese to a healthy weight. I even bought a cute new dress for the occasion to show off my new body. No one noticed the change. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 773
You deserved it 2 418

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who cares? You did it for yourself, and as long as you feel happy, that's really all that matters.

Don't be so down. Maybe they forgot? I'm not helping, but congrats on the weight loss!!

Comments

hi358 6

Just saying, but if you went from obese to losing 50 pounds, then it's not that odd that they wouldn't notice.

"Clinically obese" means having a BMI of over 30. If you're six feet tall, weighing 225 means you're clinically obese, whereas weighing between 185 and 225 classifies you as "overweight" (BMI between 25 and 30). So, yes, losing less than 50 pounds can easily mean the difference between "obese" and "normal weight."

Some definitions of "obese" are literally being 50 pounds above your ideal weight

A 5'5" woman is clinically obese at 180 lbs and hits normal weight at 150. It's definitely possible for 50 lbs to be the difference between obesity and normal weight? I'm not sure where this train of thought's supposed to be going.

hi358 6

OP never mentioned her weight before and after, therefore, there is no reason to tell me about what the definition of obese is. If her friends didn't notice, I assume that she was quite obese.

southerngalslove 15

There's that word... ASSume.

yellowzinnias 20

Exactly. People are confusing "clinically obese" with "morbidly obese." Clinically obese generally equates to ~50+ pounds over a normal weight limit for your height and muscle composition. Morbidly obese generally equates to ~100+ pounds over a normal weight limit for your height and muscle composition.

Maybe they never really cared about your weight? But congrats though c:

They probably don't remember you as heavy as you remember yourself

I think this is most likely what happened. Op, you said they haven't seen you in a long time, so there's a chance they just thought of you as smaller then you were. There's also the huge possibility that you had gained some weight in the years they hadn't seen you (let's say 20lbs in 2 years) so to you, you have lost 50lbs, but to them you've only lost about 30. So if you weighed around 150 when they last saw you, then gained 20 more in the (let's say) 2 years you hadn't seen them, then you lost 50lbs total but only 30 since the last time they saw you. Either way, you lost a lot of weight and got to see some old friends, so congrats on all of it!

I feel ya, OP. I lost 70 pounds over 6 months of serious exercise and dieting, and the only person (besides my wife) who noticed was my lives-nearby mom. She asked me if I had cancer.

On the other side there are lots of people who are really ill and get complimented for their great weight loss. It's a sensitive topic. I always get a mix between "too fat" and "anorexic" while only changing a little bit in between a 10 pound interval.

They were probably jealous so they didn't say anything. Congrats!

Or they were just unsure how to broach such a sensitive subject. Just because someone doesn't act the way you expect them to doesn't mean they are jealous. What if they are already at a healthy weight? What's to be jealous of?

I was just trying to make OP feel good about themselves. Calm down

Don't be so self-conscious! It's awesome that you did that and you're trying to show off but just because no one says anything doesn't mean you aren't beautiful.

kyu_Q 19

OP maybe they just love you for who you are and not how you looked.

MashaV 6

Its ok, OP, I'm sure they noticed and were proud of you. Maybe they were afraid to say anything because they didn't know how you would react: some people can be very reserved about these topics, and maybe they were afraid that you wouldn't like it if they pointed it out. I know I never comment on even close friends' weight change, even good, unless they start the conversation first. Either way: congrats and way to go!!

Why do you care? It's shouldn't be about making others happy. You feel good, and you like it. That's all that matters.

I think it's pretty normal to want people to notice and acknowledge your accomplishments. Sure, it's healthier to let go of what other people think of you, but most of us still appreciate it when people compliment the results of hard work.

1)clinically obese is not just 50lbs, 2)just because no one said anything doesn't mean they didn't notice

Of course it can be just 50 pounds. When I weighed 180 I was clinically obese. Losing 50 pounds would have put me in the "healthy" range for my height on the BMI scale. Now if someone tips into the moribdly obese range, then yes, 50 pounds wouldn't cut it no matter your height.