By Regina - 03/07/2009 06:19 - United States

Today, I got a job selling knives. I had training for 11 hours. At the end of the training session, the instructor promptly informed everyone that they had to pay $145 for a set of demo knives. I paid the $145. I went home and learned that it was a scam. I went back for a refund. They said no. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 417
You deserved it 55 550

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Haha lol that sucks...let me guess it was that student for part time work where you can get like $15/appointment lol Yeah I've seen that before too and I almost went untill I googled it haha

Comments

hinavalkyrie 0

Vector? Oh, man. This is why you research stuff before you do anything. I /almost/ applied, until I researched it and found that 99% of the people found it was a scam/waste of time/etc. YDI for not doing your research, but overall, FYL.

oh Vector. i dont know why peple are pushing the YDI button. Vector representitives gaurded the exits at my graduation and made sure every student who graduated got a letter about their " oppertunity". they also sent one to me in the mail. The only thing that tipped me off and made me not try out for the job is that they DIDNT SAY WHAT KIND OF WORK YOU WOULD BE DOING IN THE LETTER. so, not wanting to sign up for something like slavery, i checked it out online and lo and behold... it was a scam.

I love all the Vector supporters out here. Do you get commission off of every person you convince this isn't a scam?

Mordella 0

HAHAHA Vector! They take advantage of poor college kids.

No. It really isn't a scam. I'll admit, it was one of the most annoying jobs that I had (for the month that I had it). You do have to pay for the knives, but if you just do a few presentations, you make your money right back. It's considered a scam by many because you are obligated to sit through an ungodly amount of unpaid training hours (which really, were just a waste of time, for the most part) and because you have to pay to start working. I did all of that, paid for my knives, and did presentations for a month. I sold knives (although the knives are expensive, they are really worth their money) and made back more than I put in. After I realized that I couldn't handle it anymore, I quit. It just takes effort. Some people don't like effort, so they stop, and end up losing money. If you start it... go through with it for at least a month. It's bearable for that long.

But, if you want my opinion... don't even start with it. It's an extremely painful process.

kld14 0

yeah you can make a TON of money. Selling to your unhappy family and friends parents that feel obligated to purchase items from you. Such a scam I called and asked "this isnt a door to door sales job right?" they said ofcourse not you'll have a built in client list and meet in an office to show items. Yeah a client list you have to create.

Vector/Cutco is a pyramid scheme, but you can do well with it. You only think you are being scammed because you didn't think you would have to sell knives. Um... selling knives is your job. It's like any commission job: if you work hard, you can make big bucks. Stop being lazy and go sell knives.

brrrx 0

Did you really expect a scam to give you a refund? Seriously?

ryoga 0

I worked for Vector/cutco for two months, worked 4 days a week (2-3 appointments/day), and made around $400/week. My girlfriend was jealous because she worked longer hours at a harder job and didn't make nearly as much. The only "scam" part about it is that they hire anyone, when it's really only good salesmen that are cut out for it. If you suck at sales, this job won't be worth it. However, you can end up making a lot of money if you're good (the top earner in my office made over 10k that summer). And believe me, those knives are great. It's been so long since I've worked there, but I still use the knives I got. All good knives cost about that much. Seriously, the knives are the best (and you can't sell them if you think otherwise). I wish I still was an employee so I could get a 70% discount on their stuff. Sometimes I forget about how easy these knives make my cooking until I go over to another person's house and use theirs.

ALL LIES!! DONT BE FOOLED BY THESE SCAM ARTISTS TRYING TO STEAL YOUR MONEY!! YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER HAVE TO PAY TO WORK. You'd have to be an idiot to get involved in this shit.