By Bunsostriker - 02/04/2015 18:47 - United States - Dearborn

Today, I found out where my stolen car was. It was all the way in Maine. I live in Ohio and I got a $300 fine for illegal parking. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 594
You deserved it 2 121

Same thing different taste

Top comments

biasedshooter 24

Fight it!! You shouldnt have to pay if you've filed a police report

CatcherQueen 15

I'm sorry! My car got stolen once. The cops actually found it and towed it. Before I could get to it, it was stolen again.

Comments

Yeah I'd argue that especially if you already filed a report. It's not right for you to pay it.

I'd also imagine i'd be quite tire-ing to go all the way to Maine from Ohio to pick it up.

So, rather than saying, "Hey, I found a stolen car!" when they scanned the plate, the cop said, "Hey! Now we know where to send this parking ticket!' Really fine police work there.

That might not be the policeman's fault. I am not sure how their network systems work, but it is entirely possible they don't span nationwide (they don't even here in the Netherlands). So a local cop in one state may not have the same information his colleague in another state has.

Op also may not have reported it stolen yet.

#26: While it's possible, it would be extremely stupid. I don't know anyone who wouldn't report their car stolen. If they never reported it though, wouldn't they have to pay the fine? Since they wouldn't have proof it was stolen?

TanzWolf 26

26: I probably would have reported my car stolen in the time it took for them to drive to Maine from Ohio...

elizacandle 29

you can fight it because it was stolen. I once got a parking ticket for my car that was left under a bridge they stoke what they could and torched the damn car. but even though it was TORCHED they put a ticket on the windshield.

A lovely example of our tax dollars at work, people.

Congrats on finding your car! Thieves can be real idiots sometimes

well at least you know where your car is right?

Something similar happened to a friend of mine - the police told him that they'd found his car, and it got towed before he got there. The company demanded £100 for the return of the car: he replied "it ain't worth that mate - keep it" and went back home.

the only problem is with that, here in the states because he's the owner of the vehicle on the registration he would be liable for all the accrued charges until the vehicle has cleared lien and sold at auction. I know in California that once the vehicle is sold, that amount comes off the accrued charges and the RO is billed the remaining balance.

you can usually contest that kind of ticket pretty easy as long as you have a police report.

Agoodperspn1990 11

Should I look for it since it's heading my way? :l

I feel you there. we dropped our jeep at a shop to get the engine replaced. It was stolen from outside his shop. The owner now wants us to pay him for the tow fee for him putting it outside.