By anonymous - 30/10/2009 07:45 - United States

Today, I decided to adopt a 11 year old dog that has been in need of a home for several months. Two hours after I got him home, I discovered him dead in the backyard. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 758
You deserved it 3 987

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Thats a shame, but you should be proud of yourself for doing something like that in the first place. It shows u care for it's life, even in it's last hours.

wellinever 5

Probably small consolation, but the poor dog probably died very happy to think that he had found a new owner who loved him. Upsetting for you, but the best ending he could have wished for. When you are ready, have another go. Definitely not an FML. You should feel your life is blessed.

Comments

This is more of the dog's FML. It would go something like this. "Today after waiting forever to get adopted I finally get a loving home. I go outside to take a dump and die. FML"

that's dumb in every way the dog is dead and has no phone outside.....

Here's a wonderful suggestion. The next time you adopt an animal from a shelter, try adopting the younger animals. =) They live longer. I just got a kitten from the adoption shelter and she's 2 months old and she is very happy now.

The older animals need love too.. and they're usually the ones that are always looked over. It was very good of the OP to adopt an older dog, and I hope this doesn't deter her from adopting another older one.

the_stereotype 0

i'm so sorry, OP, but it your dog was 11 years old. it was bound to happen soon. i know this probably doesn't make much of a difference, but at least you hadn't had that dog for 11 years prior and had actually been attached the the dog.

Jolly_good29 0

At least it got to die happy and in a nice home instead of wherever it was before you adopted it

I'm just echoing everyone else's comments... You did a good thing, OP. I honestly am not sure if I'd be strong enough to adopt an older dog knowing it might die soon. I hope I can be that strong someday.

A sucky experience indeed, perhaps your new pal happened to finally meet its end in a happy way. It could've been worse.

TuTasMasLoco 0

you fulfilled his last wish he died knowing that he had a home

Concur with the majority of comments here. My one cat (who died a few years ago) had been in a shelter for over three years. She was energetic and would play, and if you moved slowly you could pet her on the top of the head, but any more than that and she would hiss, half-swat and scoot away. After three years in a shelter, it's hard to know how much they might come around, so I adopted her anyway. You never know unless you give them a chance. She ended up being a HUGE suck, would rub against me all the time, and rub against my other cat (who was totally bitchy toward her, but she didn't care). Took a while for her to trust, and she always freaked a bit when you picked her up, but in the end, she died a happy, contented cat. Knowing you improved the last while of a pet's life can make it much easier to deal with when they die. At least your dog died with a home and an owner, and had some affection before he went. I'm sure he trotted into doggy heaven with his tail fully a-wag. ;)

Good for you in adopting a dog like that, but I'm concerned that you "discovered" him dead in the back yard. So you weren't out there with him? You just got him and tossed him in the back yard, and it wasn't even 2 hours that you were with him? If so, that's awful. Dogs need companionship, and any animal that's from a shelter needs a kind word and for you to just be there, in the same vicinity, as they get used to you.

notsofriendly 17

Animals often seek a solitary spot just before they pass away... it's easily possible that the dog sought space on his own. Or perhaps OP just needed a pee break. I don't see any reason to assume OP just abandoned her new pet.