By Checkless chick - 08/05/2013 22:21 - United States

Today, I decided I would try this feature on my banking app which lets me deposit checks by sending a picture of it. The instructions say to rip the check after depositing. The deposit didn't work and now I've got a ripped up paycheck. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 112
You deserved it 54 485

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So we all know to rip the check after CONFIRMING the deposit was made. Thanks, FML.

Haha, checkmate. Banking app 1 Customer 0

Comments

isn't there usually a confirmation notice for these kinds of process. the least u could have done was wait to see if it got deposited correctly.

vencku 13

Even if it said to rip it up, I would have waited for a confirmation if it was the first time I used a new app. Better hope your bank is understanding about it.

dontpanic_fml 32

The employer will issue a new check. Not a big deal, except it stinks waiting.

You're supposed to submit the photo of your check, retain the check for at least a weeks' time to ensure scenarios precisely like this one do not occur. I work for a Bank, so I would know. Not your fault, though - You should've been better informed by your Bank.

Should've been better informed but still her fault for not using common sense. I hate that companies get the blame for stupid customers....that's why we have to have 'warning: may contain nuts' on packets of nuts nowadays...it's just ridiculous.

What bugs me is at the grocery store where I work, it's considered the cashier's fault if a customer leaves a bag behind. I'm sorry, I have other people to deal with, why can't you be a big boy/girl and think to look for YOUR items that you just paid for?! Common sense is going extinct, it's horrible.

Ouch. I would have kept it until I was sure it went through.

3rdbass 9

Gullibility? There's an app for that too.

pastispast 7

Haha owned by the smart phone. Next time on the safe side take go that extra mile and deposit your check personally at the bank. But again these days smart phones do everythig. Is there an APP for going back to undo the problem?

bestbelieve 9

I can't believe the US even uses paychecks anymore. Even 3rd world countries use direct deposit these days.

I have direct deposit but I guess some people prefer to get checks still?

I wasn't aware that that was the norm over there! Figured OPs situation was a one off. I too am surprised - I can't really see any benefits to using cheques, just seems really slow and dependent on losable, rippable bits of paper...

My boyfriend uses paychecks because he's had direct deposit **** up on him too many times. OP could feel the same.

Most places is in the U.S. still use cheques because they want the money to sit in the bank for as long as possible to earn up interest on it. They also want to make sure that the money doesn't leave too soon. I don't know if all places are the same but I do know that every time I have had direct deposit, I've been paid a night earlier than my coworkers without it. Pay day is on Friday but direct deposit goes through by ten or eleven at night on Thursday. My old bosses didn't offer direct deposit because every other payday, everything they gave out would bounce. They are still working on paying back the old employees for all the fees and such that occured.

90 - How exactly does the direct deposit **** up on him? Genuinely curious. I don't I've ever had a problem before but then I've never really thought about it much before. And 94, why can't he just set it to go through on the Friday? O_o

Yeah, it seems so anachronistic to have a smartphone alongside a cheque. I think my mum still used cheques back in the era of carphones, but not for regular things like pay.

You should have read reviews of the app first!!

why wouldnt you make sure it worked first????