By What am I doing with my life? - 22/05/2014 16:47 - United States - Aurora

Today, I collected my students' final essays. One of them submitted a printout of a screenshot he took with his phone. Too bad a browser address bar was still in the shot, along with a "click to read more" link at the bottom. My students are too dumb and lazy to even plagiarize properly. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 605
You deserved it 4 854

Same thing different taste

Top comments

SemiAuto 21

I would've sent him a McDonald's application

Your students really do try their best .

Comments

Your students really do try their best .

michaelaranda 28

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
SemiAuto 21

I guess spelling and grammar are too.

nlm92 15

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

If you're going to cheat, you should at least try to do a good job. Oh, and please understand I'm not saying that you SHOULD ever cheat.

I feel like I've hears this FML before...

incoherentrmblr 21

That's even a new low for plagiarizing...

SemiAuto 21

I would've sent him a McDonald's application

I'm not sure if I would trust him to properly prepare any of the food.

I don't know, it's quite easy to plagiarise a cheeseburger.

pwnman 33

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
skittyskatbrat 19

No, no, no. Send a SCREENSHOT of an online McDonalds application.

Heck, I don't even think he'd be qualified to break up the homeless people having sex in the bathrooms.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You're not promoting education. You're denegrating blue-collar work.

I wouldn't send him a job application for anything. Jobs are scarce and precious in this economy. Most young people in need of money would KILL to work in food service. This jackass would waste his manager's time just like he's wasting his teacher's time. There's nothing at all wrong with a decent food service job. I hate hearing those jobs being put down.

He would be too lazy to complete the application though

He'd probably send them a picture of a plagiarized completed form.

Some can't be saved, it's not your fault OP. Aslong as you do what you can for the students who try :)

I don't see how this is a problem, makes it easier to grade right? But yeah, teaching them must be a pain and for that, FYL.

It's actually not that simple. Plagiarism needs to be reported to the dean of the college and the student could potentially fail the class. That's how it is at my college at least.

It sounds to me more like a high school student did this. In high school, they'd give you a slap on the wrist and only tell you what your punishment COULD be if it were an offense in college.

cjwayy 22

Dear god. We need a new plague.

Oh, wow. So what if that plague doesn't kill ops student but everyone else? Then what?

cjwayy 22

I think you already know the answer to your question, #20

skittyskatbrat 19

No plague needed. Every time you go to the store, remove a few safety stickers. You know, the ones that say things like "Do not iron clothes while wearing" and the ones on knives that tell you not to stick them in your body...the blow dryers that warn you not to use them in the bathtub... The problem should sort itself out fairly quickly if enough people do that.

Especially the disclaimers on TV shows that tell you not to "do this at home." Masses of stupidity eradicated in one go. I'm all for that.

Wolf87535 4

I think that stupidity IS the new plague...

He needs to be disciplined. Don't go easy on him. Especially if he is older. He should know better

What an idiot. Challenge for you to get students like that enthusiastic and motivated so they want to do the work and write .. Good luck! If you're looking for some inspiration I think coursera has quote a few free courses on education and in general coursera professors are really good.

i cant even. how do you not notice those things and think you have a sliver of a chance of getting away with it?

"I can't even." White girl alert. Go back to tumblr and Pinterest.

mom_of_5 10

He could wile away the hours Conferrin' with the flowers Consultin' with the rain And his head he'd be scratchin' While his thoughts were busy hatchin' If he only had a brain....

The bad news is that after you flunk him, you get to teach him again next year. Enjoy.