By funkyhed84 - 31/05/2017 11:00 - United Kingdom - York

Today, I answered the door to two Mormon girls from America. I live in the UK and am not religious at all, but I was too polite to slam the door and ended up letting them in. An hour later, a copy of 'The Book of Mormon' and 'My Pathway to Baptism' and I think I'm now a Mormon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 171
You deserved it 1 590

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Here's how to deal with Mormons: Explain that you're not particularly religious, but you've read about some of the archaeological work that sort of backs up names and places referenced in the Christian Bible, the Jewish Torah, and the Muslim Q'Ran. Then ask the missionaries what physical or historical evidence they can offer which tends to verify the stories that are described in the Book of Mormon. There isn't any, so they won't be able to give a satisfactory answer. Mollify them with Jesus' words: "Blessed are those who believe without seeing.", and then close the door. Note: it's most effective if you've actually read those four books first.

Just don't attend their actual church (cult) service out of politeness or they will baptize you the first time you go.

Comments

Similar thing happened to me: I was casually waiting for a bus next to a mormom church and two mormons engaged me into a conversation. Trying not to be rude, I listened to what they had to say and I ended up receiving a copy of the Mormon Bible.

Moupoule 5

There is no "Mormon bible". Mormons use the King James version of the bible, and the Book of Mormon. No one is forced to be baptized. People tend to have a lot of prejudice against Mormons because of rumors or badly written stuff about them. The best way to know that they are normal people is to really meet some real Mormon people and have your own opinion based on something real.

HanBanana15 9

The Mormon Bible is the actual Bible. The Book of Mormon is a different book that people read with it, it doesn't replace it.

Just don't attend their actual church (cult) service out of politeness or they will baptize you the first time you go.

Moupoule 5

Really? :-D Stop inventing stuff.

HanBanana15 9

A. Baptism requires many meetings with missionaries and the Bishop to make sure you're ready before it can even be truly talked about. So, if you're suddenly baptized and you werent ready, that's on you. B. There is no such thing as a cult that gives you free agency. Cults don't allow you to think for yourself or leave. The LDS church teaches and believes strongly in the ability to make you're own choices. Source: I'm an inactive Mormon.

As another inactive Mormon, it's nice to see someone who doesn't attend anymore who's sticking up for the church. I disagree with several things that are intrinsic to Mormon doctrine and so made the choice to stop going, but I still firmly believe that as far as religions go, the LDS faith is by and large a very positive community. Like every community, there are some wackos and rotten apples, and it makes me sad when those people give non-members the wrong idea about what Mormonism is actually like. I stopped attending the church at the age of 18 (I'm now 23) but the members of my home ward still treat me like a friend and neighbor even though they know I have no intention of going back. That doesn't seem very cult-y to me.

I'm inactive at the moment but I was raised Mormon. It's not a cult. And your an idiot.

Well maybe you are a Mormon at heart as they *are* super polite people ..

Here's how to deal with Mormons: Explain that you're not particularly religious, but you've read about some of the archaeological work that sort of backs up names and places referenced in the Christian Bible, the Jewish Torah, and the Muslim Q'Ran. Then ask the missionaries what physical or historical evidence they can offer which tends to verify the stories that are described in the Book of Mormon. There isn't any, so they won't be able to give a satisfactory answer. Mollify them with Jesus' words: "Blessed are those who believe without seeing.", and then close the door. Note: it's most effective if you've actually read those four books first.

My mum just says we are roman Catholic but thank you. They are usual polite enough to leave us alone after that!

CrazyTrainWreck 19

I feel like a South Park episode is about to start.

An episode? The South Park guys wrote a whole Broadway show about the topic!

CrazyTrainWreck 19

I'm well aware, hence the post.

Go see the show "The Book of Mormon" written by the South Park guys. That'll put you back to where you were before the girls showed up.

becca9985 34

You're not a Mormon. As someone who is, I can assure you that there is much more involved that being nice to the missionaries and accepting some reading material. However, thank you for being polite to them. They are not supposed to be "pushy," so if you're not interested, be polite, but firm, in your disinterest.

Just plant both books on a spike and display them on your porch. If you don't have a porch, and if you don't want to damage your front door by planting a knife into it, just tape the spike to your door with duct tape.

stephenjn 11

Thanks for being polite to the two young missionaries. Sister missionaries serve 18 months of their lives, and pay their way, to share the gospel with people. Elders (male missionaries) serve for 24 months, again, paying their own way. Accepting some literature from them does not make you a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It does take several meetings, some lessons, time spent reading and praying, etc before they will ask if you believe the church to be true, and if you would like to be baptized. Despite some of the misguided, uninformed, and fun to read negative comments, the only way to know if the Mormon church is the true church is to read the Book of Mormon, a companion to the Holy Bible which we also believe to be scripture, and to pray about it. Why not visit www.mormon.org and see if you want to learn more? You may find something you have been searching for.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
LostInTheZone11 29

Here's what you do the next time they are in the area. 1. Get a white robe. 2. Make fake blood. 3. Paint a pentagram on your chest with fake blood. 4. Coat kitchen butcher knife with fake blood. 5. Answer door with knife and pentagram showing and tell them you are in the middle of an animal sacrifice.