By CLH - 25/01/2011 18:08 - Canada

Today, I accidentally dropped my engagement ring down a sewer. To my surprise, the sewer water was frozen and my ring sat on top. During my efforts to retrieve it, I had to watch as the ice slowly melted due to the warm day. The ring sank further and further until it was completely gone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 438
You deserved it 6 789

Same thing different taste

Top comments

JacksonCampbell 9

This reminds me of that one time I tried to spice things up in the bedroom by wearing a dress for my boyfriend. It may sound completely unrelated to the FML, but it totally leads in to the whole thing. M'kay, so there I was, in full drag and with freshly-braided nipples, wearing a fake beard made out of Perdix' crotch hair, and cow's blood smeared on my lips in a cheap and yet magnificent imitation of the vintage lipstick of old. Once I'd finished sexily morris-dancing to the tune of Call on Me, I lifted my dress up sexily, anticipating an immediate ravishing, and all the glorious sounds of pealing thunder that would ensue. So what does he do? He only calls me a freak for wearing my frilly edible teletubbies panties inside out on a ******* LUNAR ECLIPSE. I mean, what the dick, people? Here I am, trying to be sexy for my man, and I'M the bad guy? Is there no justice in this world? Wee-woo.

geminiwings87 0

I live in the sewers, and your ring fit my new fiancée perfectly :) thank you for your donation.

Comments

quite_bored 9
GeneralTso 2
hatepineapple 14

Well that must... *Puts glasses on* STINK. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You know, I've seen a lot of CSI-related jokes, but this one's the worst by far. What the flying ****.

Those jokes all suck, but this one is really bad indeed. He didn't even put on sunglasses!

A guy got shot 13 times in a bakery. Well I think....he really got *puts sunglasses on* a bakers dozen. YEEEAAAAA-lolwut.

Why did you take it off in the first place?

Sounds like you're in the Calgary area xD

mintcar 9

Warm day in Alberta? Is that even possible? Lol.

sallen0046 4

So instead of calling someone who could help, you decided to sit around and wait long enough for all the ice to melt so you could watch the ring disappear? If you can't keep your ring on your finger, you shouldn't be wearing it in the first place. If you're not responsible enough to take action to get it back, you don't deserve a ring in the first place.

In her defense, there may not have been anyone around to help her. Also, when it's cold, or even when your hands are cold, rings tend to slide off easier. In heat, your fingers swell; the opposite occurs in the cold.

49 - "...during my efforts to retrieve it..." She DID do something to try and get it. Also, maybe she didn't have a cell phone. Not everyone does.

Again, it's possible that no one was around. Not to mention the fact that many people don't like giving out their phones to strangers to use. Who knows; maybe her "efforts" actually involved calling someone.

ohthebloodygore 16

56, like Steph said... maybe there was no one around. How could she borrow a cellphone?

There are many places within a city that are relatively "dead". It depends on many things; the type of day, where the manhole/sewer was in relation to the rest of civilization... Can you please use your head? I'm sure you live in a city, or have visited one at one point in your life. You should know that cities, as a rule, alternate between busy/not busy. For instance, 5pm is usually "traffic hour", so it's going to be quite busy then. Lunchtime, typically between 12 and 1 here, is also a busy time, especially downtown by the market. Any other time of the day (aside from a Saturday), downtown is relatively quiet. Side streets are also quiet. Alleys are also quiet. Are you starting to get the picture?

I am using my head. Clearly you're not since you don't realize that while cities are never completely dead, there are areas where no one goes. For example, an alley may OR may not be near a store, another person, etc. So, going on that tangent (not assuming this is actually the case; just giving an example), she wouldn't have had anywhere to go to contact someone without it taking a while. She may have thought she'd lose the ring in the time it'd take to get wherever she'd have to go. You don't know how exactly she tried to get the ring, either. You're missing that point completely. "She was watching the ice slowly melt." Yes, did it ever occur to you that she tried everything in her power to get the ring? Assuming she had a lot of options, that would take quite some time. "Slowly" doesn't necessarily mean 4 hours, either. It could have taken an hour.

I meant that to mean something more along the lines of, not many* people use alleys. They're clearly not as busy as a main street; a side street is busier than an alley, and a main street is busier than a side street. Not all alleys are near houses or businesses. In my city, many of the alleys are near factories or closed-down buildings. Someone could've been home, but why waste an hour knocking on everyone's door when she can easily assume most people, if not all people on that street/in that area would be out? Generally, most people work. Most families have two parents who work, rather than only one. Explaining this is a different story entirely. She could have been taking the alley as a short cut to her home/wherever else she may have had to go. I take the allies downtown as shortcuts to my bank and my favourite coffee shop. During the daytime, they're not as "dangerous", if they are at all, if that's where you're going with that paragraph.

Yes, but it's a slim chance of finding someone, which was my entire point. What if she spent that hour knocking on doors, only to find that no one's home in any of the houses she'd visited, AND now she's lost the ring for good? Edit: IF there were any houses around in the first place.

Human_Fly13 0

How long did the Ice take to melt? The weather in Alberta wasn't even in the double digits today, unless you count when it was negative. That means the Ice didn't melt very fast at all. You're trying to claim that EVERYTHING in her power still resulted in her losing her ring. She posted this at 10 AM stating that this happened TODAY. So you're saying in the morning the city was dead? In the morning when people would have been out more since they'd be on their way to work? You're a ******* idiot, you should be the one down in the sewer with that ring since the things coming from your mouth are reminiscent of what would be found in said location to begin with. and as long as YOU are the one who is "using your head" maybe you should be using it to catch bullets.

Again, maybe she did. She used at least some effort to try to get it back, as I stated earlier. Are you forgetting that point? Fly - Just because it says it was posted on here at 10am doesn't mean she posted it herself for moderation at 10am today. It may very well have been yesterday that she submitted it.

Please read this again. Maybe she DID try to get help from someone. Since we don't know this, as it wasn't mentioned in the FML itself, we can only speculate and look at all options. She may have tried to get it herself and didn't seek help from someone else, or she spent however long trying to find someone to help her. End of story. Facepalm.

Human_Fly13 0

inB4 she tries changing her argument!!! Aw ****, too late

No, I was trying to get you to see the other side of the argument, other possibilities. But apparently you're too stubborn.

I'm am stubborn. I'm especially so when I'm dealing with morons who are trying to tell me I'm wrong when I'm not. I don't judge people until they show me a certain characteristic. Then, I call them out on it. My original point was that you don't know the entire situation, and she may not have had a phone, or she may have had a phone. We don't know. We also don't know WHERE the manhole/sewer was in relation to everything else, so we don't know therefore whether there was a nearby business or home. We don't know if she tried to go to any nearby place in order to seek some help. She might have. We also don't know if she was in an area which wasn't busy at the time. This FML was not necessarily submitted at 10am this morning; it could have been any time. Wilhelma - You originally told me that she stood there staring at the ice while it melted. I told you she hadn't and that there were many options that she could have/might have taken. Care to go back and read them? No? Good. I reiterated most of them in the above paragraph. I said in post 57 that she may OR may not have had a phone and may or may not have tried to contact someone in the time it took for the ice to melt. I've said this many times and you're still not getting it. Who's the failure? Fly, you told me that it was on the negative side in terms of temperature today in Alberta. Do you know for sure if you live in the same area as OP? Maybe she lives in southern Alberta, and you live in northern Alberta. Quite the temperature difference. If you aren't in the north, you're still probably in a different city, so you can't tell me the temperature was the same universally. TLDR? My story has remained the same and I have given different perspectives and different options she may have used in this situation, which you have consistently refuted. Apparently nothing makes sense to you. You clearly don't know the meaning of "maybe". Look it up.

1. Two wrongs don't make a right, so you're at the same level as you've put me at. Calling me a moron because I see you as a moron due to the fact you can't comprehend and follow this argument does not mean I'm actually a moron. Thanks, though. 2. If you act the part, you're going to get called a moron. For reasons why, see below. 2. You disagreed with everything I said. You told me every possibility was wrong, indirectly. You told me whatever I came up with was impossible or unlikely because /insert phrase here/. 3. You said I'd changed my argument when in fact I haven't, as you can now hopefully see.

Yours isn't an opinion. Yours is more of a refute, or an attempt to ensure I can't be right. Rather, it's an attempt of yours to ensure you're always right. Have you read what you posted? FYI, this isn't me being a bitch. This is me telling you you're wrong. Suck it up, buttercup.

ohthebloodygore 16

Wow. This has gone on a bit too long. There's a simple solution... Steph, it's your opinion. Wilhelma (or however it's spelt, too lazy to go back and look) it's your opinion. You're not going to change opinions based on someone's opinion that isn't yours! Stop assuming. For all we know OP could have just stood there, or she could have walked around asking for help. So many possibilities but I'm going to give OP the benefit of the doubt simply because she tried to reach. Maybe that's the best she could have done. Maybe she wasn't thinking rationally. Either way, the OP of this thread was wrong by saying she doesn't deserve to be married if she didn't do anything in her power to get the ring. Since when does love need a symbol? For bollocks sake. Ring or not they love each other enough to get married. Sure, it was pretty reckless of her to lose the ring when it cost money but that doesn't mean she's not ready to be married. Her partner would have to be very immature to call off the wedding based on her losing a ring that DOES NOT stand for their love. Bloody hell you two. Although, I do agree with the Wanker, I think you both have your separate opinions.  95, don't try and blame this all on Steph. You didn't let it go either. Calling her a bitch because she called you a moron doesn't make you much better.

Holy shit you both need to get a life :P I agree with ohthebloodygore, you're both entitled to your own opinions. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. Maybe she DID try to do all that's possible, maybe she just sat on her ass. It doesn't matter that much yeah? CALM. DOWN.

fthku 13

Ohthebloodygore pretty much covered it all, except for one thing - HumanFLY, I suggest you go to a corner somewhere and calm down. Having a different opinion than someone else does not entitle you to tell someone they're a "******* idiot", and you definately should never tell anyone he should use his head to catch bullets. What is wrong with you? Are you so angry that you would tell a total stranger on the internet to go get shot in the head because they expressed some opinion that didn't sit well with you? She wasn't even arguing with her, you just sort of "barged" into it. Also, a person does not normally keep track on weather conditions of the region of any weather-related FML.

witchdoctor1 9

ohthebloodygore I so agree with you.... I will say that reading that whole conversation... we have 2 stubborn people who have to much value in their own opinions.... but I say who knows..? who knows. the OP could have or not gone n hot help could have or not just stood there and some cities have zones where few people travel.. but even those zones do have someone. but the point is steph, wihlma (not going to correct spelling an grammar... no point) unless either of you where there... you just don't know what the OP did and could have done...

daiissyyy 0

wow! that reaalllyyy sucks!! Maybe this is a huge sign?