By explanations - 14/06/2013 06:48 - United States - Des Plaines

Today, after dating for almost a year, I decided to introduce my parents to the man I was sure I'd fallen in love with. When dad saw him, his and my boyfriend's face completely dropped. I asked them what was wrong because I could feel the discomfort. Turns out, I'm dating my dad's drug dealer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 80 626
You deserved it 7 933

Same thing different taste

Top comments

At least your dad doesn't have to pay for his drugs anymore... Hehe

Comments

sammyjanette 17

I expected that to turn into a gay lover kind of thing. At least you can be thankful it wasn't that! That would have completely ruined your life. Though I suppose that finding out your boyfriend is a drug dealer, and that your dad does drugs can't be that great for your life either...

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
sammyjanette 17

Umm, I'm assuming that your father is still married to your mother... the love affair would be the breakdown of their marriage. Also, you would find out that your boyfriend is cheating on you, and he isn't even attracted to you. That's pretty horrible.

What's the problem? Family gatherings are sure to be "groovy"!

#85, yes, it is absolutely horrible. but I'd still take this horrible thing over realization that my father is a drug addict and my boyfriend is a criminal (again, not talking about weed here). for their own sakes. because if it's serious stuff, like heroin for example, honestly, I'd much rather have my dad leave the family and my boyfriend leave me than see one most likely die and the other be locked up.

this reminds me of the Jerry Springer Show. I'm so sorry about the awkwardness. True love doesn't come easy and there are worse things than coming clean earlier rather than later! MAY *Hope float!

olpally 32

ERMAHGERD! Small world, huh? Lol. A good plot twist would have been your dad is an undercover cop. Haha. Good luck op! Jesus.

This turned out not as bad as I thought it would. Maybe I'm just twisted, but when I read about your dad I thought maybe your boyfriend was your half brother and your father's secret love child. So there you go, OP. The bright side is that you have not unwittingly engaged in incest.

websphere69 27

yes, but then they could've kept it in the family at least....

perdix 29

Now, I'll bet he feels bad for cutting your Dad's cocaine with confectioner's sugar.

Wizardo 33

Next time on Breaking Dad - will the boyfriend keep dealing with his daughter? Or has the exchange gone awry? Keep tuned on FML TV...

Sugar is better than mannitol, unless you like sitting on the toilet!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It's really not that hard for a low level dealer to hide it, which this guy clearly is. And if they've only been dating a year, they probably aren't living together, in which case he probably has plenty of time to do his own shit. And as far as the phone goes, some people try to trust their significant other and don't have a problem with them having, or visiting, friends. I feel very sorry for you if you see that as an undesirable trait.

Maybe the op new her bf was a dealer but not that her dad was a druggie.

Maybe she knew her boyfriend was a dealer and that her dad was on drugs, but just didn't know it was connected.

I have to disagree with #65's point. As a low level drug dealer it is much harder to keep it a secret. The margins at the street level or delivery level are razor thin. As little at 8-12 dollars a gram for coke, under 20 bucks for a half quarter of weed. I've never been involved in the meth trade so I can't comment on those with firsthand knowledge. Take out the cost of doing business, scales, batteries, packaging etc, as those margins become even thinner. Low level dealers have to hustle to make money. A couple sales a day won't even really keep you in beer and cigarettes. Let alone gas if you're doing deliveries. All this cuts into personal time if they have a real job and are doing it on the side to pay for their own 'free weed'. If they don't have a job and deal full time, good luck hiding that from a girlfriend for a year. Take into account that the people you deal with while dealing drugs are, well, druggies. They'll knock on your door at 3 in the AM on a Saturday night if there's a single light on. They'll ask you in the corner store if they catch you there or bump into you in a mall or movie theater. Seriously. A couple weeks? Sure. A month? Maybe. But a year? Not likely. There's no hiding it for long. And as you climb the ladder it becomes more and more ingrained in who you are. As for the phone issue, sure. You can have friends, you can visit them, you can trust your SO. But when the phone is going off all the time which prompts sudden disappearances, there's something suspicious going on. About the only way this is not a YDI is if you don't know your dad uses drugs. And if you're old enough to date someone your dad buys from, you should probably have figured out he uses by then.

You're assuming a lot of things there, Zeb. He could have a burner phone for his deals that he leaves on silent when he's with OP, and calls people back afterwards. His customer base very well may not know where he lives. Prices are heavily dependent on both quality and location. (Weed where I am is $10 for a gram of regs, coke is $50 for a gram that's not cut to shit.) He may or may not have a day job. Wouldn't suprise me if he delivers pizza and pot at the same time, but as it stands we don't know either way. Granted, bumping into customers could be a problem in any case, but he'd just been lucky with it until this happened.

jem970 19

I would have a really hard time with this personally. I would sit down and have a serious talk with your father and consider dumping the BF. Drug dealers can be involved with a lot of unsavory people and he could put you in danger at some point. That would be my worry; if you are in love with him though maybe you can work it out but I seriously doubt that he will be willing to drop his business for your relationship. Good luck OP.

Still, a better love story than Twilight.

jem970 19

I will scream and jump for joy when this finally wears out.

43 - I'm with you on that 100%!! 'Cause there's not even the slightest chance it'll wear off until they stop making those damn movies!

Grauncho 27

Why was your dad horrified? Now he can get a discount on his drugs.