By tailgaterhater - 17/08/2009 04:44 - United States

Today, a girl was tailgating me, even though I was going at speed limit. Annoyed, I drove 10 mph under the speed limit, and every time she honked, I went 5 mph slower. Too bad she got the last laugh… I was pulled over for "reckless driving." FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 994
You deserved it 47 384

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Always keep in mind you get ticketed for going too much under the speed limit. Yup, your fault.

You don't police the roads. You were probably some ass cruising in the passing lane. If someone's annoying you, just let them pass so both of you can get on with your lives.

Comments

You don't police the roads. You were probably some ass cruising in the passing lane. If someone's annoying you, just let them pass so both of you can get on with your lives.

Soup_fml 0

Take solace in the fact that she'll probably die in a car wreck eventually, since she'll be too absorbed in her own little world to avoid it if anything unexpected ever happens in front of her. Doubtful she'll be laughing then.

smart ass, if she crashes cause someone else because she was tailgating she gets hurt, if you crash because you were 15 mph under the speed limit you hurt yourself, the car behind you, next to you, and cause a traffic jam, driving that slow is against the law and really douchie

Speeding is 10x more douchebaggy and dangerous than driving under the speed limit. Someone apparently 'not knowing how to ******* drive' is no excuse for tailgating which is by chance also highly illegal.

Plus, in a tailgating situation, the 'self important selfish prat'. It is not people being tailgated that 'don't know how to ******* drive', it's the people that tailgate them. If people are so selfish that they are willing to risk their lives and other peoples by gaining a few minutes on their journey then they are the self important ones.

brilliantbarbie 0

To Chaos: Not for nothing, theres a bumper sticker that says "I may be going slow, but Im still ahead of you" Why exactly should I pull over while doing the speed limit because some ass hole like you thinks I should feel obligated to pull over and let you pass me? maybe u shoulda left a little earlier than you did in ther first place, and then I'd be following you. Im not obligated to pull over for your lead foot. Seems like your a bit self important in that you believe everybody on the road in front of you has an obligation to pull over and let u pass. I would do what the OP did as well, Id slam on my breaks and do under the speed limit while flipping you off. Again, if you feel like you need to speed because someone else is doing the speed limit, maybe you should adjust your schedule to allot for that. And what are u even talking about, anybody can tailgate whether youe doing 55 or 95, theres some ass hole like you mad that someones not doing 100. Thats a rediculous statement that its my responsibility to drive how u deem necessary and appropriate. And if people could handle driving without speed limits, we wouldnt have them. We have them for ass holes like you. I dont see how anybody going the speedlimit is a "roadhog" and OP specifically states he didnt slow to below the speed limit until he was being tailgated, so what are you even talking about??

Corey_Helfand 0

To Mr. Chaos: Don't try to justify your endangering habits, you self righteous prick. It is true that speed is a factor that increases chance of injury or death in the instance of collision, but it also increases the chances of having a collision in the first place.

#56 "since beeping your horn and flashing your lights are also illegal" Honking your horn is totally legal, flashing your lights is not illegal but frowned upon. Tailgating isn't really horrible if the person tailgating knows HOW TO DRIVE. Also anyone who slows down to less than about 5 miles under the speed limit is retarded.

fmlxxxx 0

"maybe u shoulda left a little earlier than you did in ther first place, and then I'd be following you" Nonsense , what if you happened to leave earlier as well? Should this guy plan his driving around your schedule? "Seems like your a bit self important in that you believe everybody on the road in front of you has an obligation to pull over and let u pass. " Actually that is the law, you must not obstruct traffic. The wording of the law varies from place to place though so I would recommend checking your local statutes. "I would do what the OP did as well, Id slam on my breaks and do under the speed limit while flipping you off." So you are more concerned with attacking other people than with road safety. Good to know. You are the classic case of a control freak. Everybody else behind you MUST stay behind you. Nobody is allowed to go any faster than the most important person in the world. Here's some free advice, why don't you just concentrate on your own driving and get out of everybody else's way.

brilliantbarbie 0

"should this guy plan his driving around your schedule??" well right back at you! Why should I have to plan my driving around somebody behind me's schedule?? "you must not obstruct traffic"... how many times must we revisit the fact that OP was doing the speed limit and he did not slow down until the person was tailgating him... It is not my job to pull over for you to speed, and its not my job to stomp on the gas either, if OP was doing the speed limit they were not doing anything wrong... so yes, maybe you should leave earlier instead of having to speed, which is illegal (doing the speedlimit is not). And really?? your not a control freak?? 'Do as fast as I want you to or pull your ass over so I, the King of the World may pass you' doesn't seem a bit controlling to you, you self-important road punk? Here's some free advice, why don't you just deal with the fact that tailgateing is illegal, and so is speeding, so back the **** off and stop being a bully.

NDnation44 0

why the **** are you writing so much, more like organizedfaggot, or organizeddouchebag, or organizepussy, or organizedIneedToGetaLifeandStopCaringSoMuchAboutWhatPeopleSayOnTheInternet

Too long didn't read. All in all, the OP was driving at the stated speed limit, and the person behind felt the need to speed. Her fault for thinking you're obligated to let her drive inappropriately. I get this all the time. I set my car to coast at the exact speed limit, and I always get people who will change lanes from behind me, do 10 miles above the limit, and then get right back in front of me. One the highway, I'll drive 64-66 (depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill), in a 65mph zone and guaranteed, people will come from behind, and pass me at 72 minimum. My speedometer's not wrong; I purposely asked a cop to radar me, and he said I was doing 43 while my speedometer stated I was doing 40, so if anything, my speedometer's TOO SLOW (I'm thinking his radar was set too high though). So yeah, tailgaters can suck my exhaust pipe. I've seriously considered letting tailgaters wreck into me; I got $900 once from a 16 year old kid who was revving up his engine and accelerating like crazy. We came to a yellow light, so I had to slow down, especially since there were like five other cars ahead of me before the yellow light, lol) and the kid ended up not stopping in time. Nice profit, considering I got a couple of tiny dents, and he got a crushed hood. Luckily he was a decent kid (though his first words were, "Oh, sorry! Sorry!!! But you stopped! WHY'D YOU STOP?!") and none of us got hurt. And my car's totally driveable :D I hope I get into another painless profitable wreck again (note I say painless... though I should probably be on the safe side and put some legal disclaimers: by painless I mean no injury; neither mentally nor physically or spiritually, nor metaphysically. Furthermore, this means that painless deaths are not permitted either, nor is paralysis, despite how painless it may be, it's still an injury. Likewise, by profitable, I imply I am the profiting party, and that the profit involves decent amounts of current, modern, US currency, preferably at least $500, again, modern US Dollars). That should cover it.

brilliantbarbie 0

Well here, you stay on the right side and pass on the left, so your whole arguement it completely irrelevant to me on that topic. We have signs that say "pass with care" and "slower traffic keep right" but thats on a road with more than one lane, it makes sense that the OP was on a one lane road, or passing would not be a problem obviously. Apparently you cant get it through your head that OP was going the speed limit, and it is not her obligation to pull over for you to speed... how bout u back off her ass and you stop being a douch.. what gives you the right to bully other drivers on the road because they are doing the speed limit and you want to go faster? I maintain that you're a self important prick, if your in sucha damn hurry, leave earlier like the rest of the world. I live in NY, you allot for traffic, you dont get to just demand everyone on the road move so you can get to work, thats not how it works ass hole, everyones tryin to get somewhere. It also says nowhere that she was blocking any traffic other than the person behind her, why dont you stop making asinine assumptions to better your shitty arguement? Look if you cant comprehend the fact that I do not need to pul lover doing the speed limit for you I dont know how to explain it to you.. it doesnt get any more basic than that. Im not breaking the law, and its not my job to enable you to. Stay your ass behind me doing the speed limit or leave earlier..or if its so damn important to you, cross the double yellow lines, if your willing to break the law by speeding then you should b willing to break it to pass me, who is not breaking any laws. Learn some patience, and learn how to control your road rage and maybe you could stop being a twat. And the whole "schedule" comment: IDK what your talking about, you could just admit I made a good point and that Im right, but tailgateing douchbags like you obviously cant admit that your the douchbag and wrong. And AGAIN driving the speed limit is not obstructing traffic..where the hell do u get that it is?? Just because you are in a hurry doesnt mean Im Obstructing you because you dont understand time management. Common curtesy would be you recognizing you should have left earlier, and because you didnt, you now must do the speed limit. Riding someones ass isnt going to make them go faster, and if the person in front of u slams their breaks, its YOUR fault for hitting them because you were tailgating. "you cant bring up the legality issue when obstructing traffic is also illegal". Doing the ****** speed limit is not obstructing traffic, so calm the **** down, get off my ass and stop being a douche yourself.

brilliantbarbie 0

First: I did realiZe that two people were responding to me, which is why I posted to him, and then to you. Two people, two posts, I dont think thats rocket science. They can have a big campaign all they want, It is not my responsibility to pull over because you are a reckless driver and bullying me... I have a right to be on the road too and an obligation to do the speed limit, its your obligation to be a respectful driver and not harass the people in front of you for doing what they are supposed to do. Really still not seeing your arguement that someone doing the speedlimit is an asshole. fact is, I dont give a shit if im in your way, I was here first, and if your in such a damn hurry you shoulda left sooner, otherwise enjoy the view from behinf. I hope your the "wrong person" I do it to one day so you can follow me home, and get shot in the ****** face, because this "wrong person" has a pistol permit, and now you're a stalker following and attacking me. Frankly, I challange anyone to do that, I would beat the ever-living shit out of them with my bare hands, and then have them arrested, and let the cops know this all was over the fact I was doing the speed limit. really I would like to just punch your lights out right now and do the whole world a favor. Thank you for the entertaining bullshit argument about how tailgaters have more rights than the law abiding citizen just because they are in a hurry. Woot woot, I wonder how you would feel when I slammed on my breaks and you rearend me?? good luck explaining to the cops you couldnt stop fast enough because you were tailgateing the person in front of you who was going the speed limit... my arguement?? Mr. Officer, there was a squirrel and I didn't want to swerve (as its dangerous), and this guy riding my ass didnt stop. I will enjoy my new car, and watching yours get towed off... good luck explaining that to your insurance company, and enjoying the sneaker express... Ill wave to you tomorrow when I see you walkin down that same street ;-)

Actually, speed limits were created during the oil crisis in the 70's - gasp - they had nothing to do with safety, only money (big surprise there). Yes you are legally allowed to drive the speed limit, but sometimes it is rude because you are greatly inhibiting traffic. It's just like pulling into the intersection at a green light while waiting to turn left. It's illegal almost everywhere, but everyone does it because otherwise you would never get to turn left at some lights. Or you know the guy who stays in the right lane until the very last moment before merging in, maybe even from the shoulder - yeah he's an ass, but mathematically and physically, he's helping traffic flow smoother for everyone. I live in Los Angeles and I see every day the effects that 1 slow person driving in the left lane has - it can slow down traffic greatly for miles, and even cause stoppages because 1 person won't let traffic flow efficiently where it needs to. And to the rest of the people, I assume that if the person was tailgating bad, he couldn't pass you or he would. I'm really glad you got the ticket, OP - YDI. Don't be so self righteous - yes the speed limit exists, but be polite to other drivers instead of malicious and vindictive.

brilliantbarbie 0

146: Actually speed limits started being imposed in America when Ford invented the car... but they were uniformly popularized in the 70's during the oil crisis, indeed. "Yes you are legally allowed to drive the speed limit, but sometimes it is rude because you are greatly inhibiting traffic." What??? The speed limit is the speed limit... its not my job to decide to do 80 because someone behind me wants me to, I dont need a ticket because someone behind me wants to chance getring one. Its not my job to speed, traffic or not. Speeding is against the law, and if Im on a one lane road, and your in such a hurry, then u break the law by passing me on the double yellow line or quit bitching. "Or you know the guy who stays in the right lane until the very last moment before merging in, maybe even from the shoulder - yeah he's an ass, but mathematically and physically, he's helping traffic flow smoother for everyone" ummmm no, not if hes cutting me off hes not, now I've got road rage because of some asshole who cant handle merging approprately. And its not self rightous for you to demand someone go over the speed limit just because thats what you want to do?? And really, when is doing the speed limit more "Malicious anf vindictive" than tailgateing is??

Actually in WA it is illegal to beep your horn. Sadly this state is retarded like that

Your name is brilliant Barbie... You clearly couldn't beat the ever living shit out of the squirrel your lying about existing. Your now just as bad as the tailgater for lying to get your way. And get a ******* grip, the speed "limit" is just a guideline. If someone wants to go ******* 200 get out of their way, you are a traffic hazard not a cop. Stop being a self righteous prick obeying the speed limit perfectly and thinking everyone else should too. Speed limits aren't some magical speed at which everyone will be fine in an accident. They're a guideline based on the surroundings and traffic and road patterns. So **** off and stop thinking your so special for doing the speed limit that you deserve to Committ insurance fraud

Ever have an emergency where you have to get to the hospital ASAP? Don't be too self absorbed to think they may not have a reason for going so fast. Also it's much easier to let someone pass (given it's a two lane or larger road) and go on with your day, be a little more kind to strangers.

You deserved that. If you were in the left lane and doing this, get a ******* clue. If you were in the right lane and doing this, there's nothing wrong with you going the speed limit, but don't take it upon yourself to try and "teach them a lesson". That's not your place, honey.

haha all the retards saying YDI for taunting the girl. That other girl was a complete asshole. I slow down to piss people off too. They need to slow the hell down and not go 95mph on the freeway. You only deserve it for going that much under the speed limit because it's illegal and just as bad as speeding. FYL for doing something awesome but doing it stupidly.

Really? An asshole for not wanting to waste her life in a car? I suppose one would consider that better then BEING the asshole that forces her to waste extra moments of her life in a car. What about the state that abolished most speed limits and found that fatalities didn't increase? You realise that people generally dont drive faster then they feel comfortable doing so, and the mad people that do arnt going to care about speed limits anyway.

How much of her life is she wasting? About ten minutes, at most. That's nothing on the complete waste of life that could have been because of people that constantly speed.

LadyLovely08 0

Point is, OP's not a cop and shouldn't be trying to enforce the speed limit on other drivers. If she'd let the girl pass as the other driver indicated by tailgating her, the cop would have got the speeder.

Ditto. I also make slow starts when people honk at me as soon as the light turns green.

vdubz 0

So being an ass hole is awesome? Your justification is that it's okay, because you are an ass hole too? And btw, look at the second post, it's not even real. So the only real one is you...

ladylovely, just like the tailgater is not a cop. No reason for a law abiding citizen to have to pull over just to serve some princess who thinks she is above the law. Undoubtedly, the same girl will post, and say "Today, I got an unfair ticket because I was driving only 6 miles above the limit, and when I tried showing my boobs to the officer, he ignored me, and still gave me a ticket. It's not fair. FML"

spiderbiscuit 0

THIS IS AN MLIA. (minus the recklass driving). THIS IS FAKE.. AND YOU ARE A COPY CAT

Oh thank-you wise #17! What would we do without your ultimate wisdom of trolling websites! Congratulations for reading all versions of 'these sites' so you can share your ultimate wisdom upon us! Seriously stfu, who cares if its a duplicate; I got entertained by the story and if you're looking to get anything more out of this site you have issues.

I personally want to high-five you. I hate tailgaters. If people only sped when it was truly imperative then we'd all be more willing to just move over. Don't tell me none of you have just felt like speeding and wished everyone would move out of your way. Tailgaters are so rude... thinking the driving world revolves around them.

Julle_fml 0

Okay, that might not have been the best way to handle it, but I hate tailgaters too. No matter how much in a hurry you are it's never okay. It's dangerous, inconsiderate and annoying as hell!

It's also annoying and dangerous when someone goes the speed limit on a 5 lane freeway in the left lane, perfectly aware of the 5 cars piled up behind them because those cars can't legally pass on the right. We have signs around here saying to keep right if you're going to be a slowass grandma with no place to be.

Julle_fml 0

@ 123 Just how did you get the idea that I encourage not keeping to the right on the road?? I was talking about a scenario where there's only one lane, you're driving the speed limit and still there's some stressful, tailgating idiot behind you... There. Was that explanation more to your liking, or do I need to clarify further? - and by the way, driving the speed limit doesn't mean you drive like "a slowass grandma".

loserboii 11

FYL indeed she was being a bitch :(

My driving teacher told us to slow down if anyone tailed us, so that the person would be forced to go around you. So that's why I think our victim here deserved to get pulled over. Now though I have a bunch of questions going through my head

vt_mruhlin 0

Stay the fark out of the left lane if you're going to go slow like that. If she was tailgating you in the right lane... well that's pretty stupid.