By Ashley Rocha - 11/09/2018 20:30

Today, after my washing machine broke yesterday in the middle of a cycle, I went and spent $1400 on a new one. Also today, my dryer started to smoke and almost caught my clothes on fire. There goes another $1000. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 779
You deserved it 330

Same thing different taste

Top comments

tapdancecolumbia 14

$1400??? Did you shop around at all?? YDI for dropping that much on a washer. I grabbed a washer and dryer for less than $500 by going to a consignment store, and four years later they're still running great.

Have a talk with your dryer and explain that if it's going to smoke it should do so responsibly and not near dryer lint.

Comments

Probably alot cheaper to have it fixed instead 🤔

tounces7 27

No. They're literally designed to fail. If you have them fixed it'll still cost at a minimum hundreds, and it'll keep happening. Those new machines will last about as long as their warranty period, and then they're garbage.

Have a talk with your dryer and explain that if it's going to smoke it should do so responsibly and not near dryer lint.

tapdancecolumbia 14

$1400??? Did you shop around at all?? YDI for dropping that much on a washer. I grabbed a washer and dryer for less than $500 by going to a consignment store, and four years later they're still running great.

I was thinking the same thing. There is no need to spend that much on just a washer when it will work just as good as a 300, 400 dollar one.

While I agree, the washer I have is 15 years old, and when I do get a new one, I want a REALLY fancy/nice one with bells and whistles. So I'll get it! I'll get a similar or matching Dryer when that busts too. OP may have been waiting for their appliances to die out to get the new ones shes always wanted. Then when the dryer caught fire (I think it was Lint not ever checked and the exhaust never cleaned, honestly) OP probably wants a matching. Yes its another $1000, but people like matching and treating themselves, it was probably just a bit earlier than expected.

Yeah I guess you can do that if you like. But. Someone who CHOOSES to indulge themselves in an unecessary luxury shouldn't be going around whining about the tragic economic impact they "had to" endure.

bluhbluhbluh 14

Your clothes would've been lit.

You really must be LOADED. $1400 can buy you both the washer AND the dryer.

I hate to be captain obvious, but the internet has taught me that there are an unreasonable amount of people that don't know you have to empty the lint trap on your dryer to keep it from going up in flames. So start there.

Emma Marshall 19

You can get them cheaper than that

This is normally why people buy both at once. Usually on credit. Oh, the prices we pay to have clean clothes.

MightBeAnElectrician 3

Assuming your lint filter was clear when the dryer caught fire, I have a question. Do you notice your lights getting brighter and dimmer when a high load appliance is turned on? If so, you may be experiencing symptoms of a resistive neutral. In that case, you should call your power provider, describe your symptoms, and ask if they would investigate. Whenever we see multiple appliances failing within a short period of time, we always look for lights getting brighter and dimmer.