By Anonymous - 12/10/2017 20:00

Today, my mom borrowed my computer without my permission and downloaded a virus. I came home to a blue screen of death. She refuses to admit fault and pay for a new computer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 068
You deserved it 421

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I’m confused at the people saying the OP works in IT, where does it specify that he’s an IT worker?

Why not just reformat it...? It's not like a blue screen affects the actual hardware.

Comments

Why not just reformat it...? It's not like a blue screen affects the actual hardware.

Was thinking the same thing. A virus is bad, but you can just erase the hard drive & start over 99.99% of the time.

Actually BSODs are usually caused by a hardware failure not a virus.

Aiden Stubblefield 9

op specifically said virus, so if it is one i guess stupidity runs in the family.

I’m confused at the people saying the OP works in IT, where does it specify that he’s an IT worker?

He said he did in the "Nearly FML" section, they took it out when it was posted here.

If you have a windows 10 computer, it wasn't her fault. They pushed an update that caused many of their laptops and pcs to blue screen. Not a virus, just windows 10. Call microsoft or take it to a geek place to fix.

The OP is not in IT people need to learn to read. Anyway I hope you had most of your stuff backed up. I think you can restore it back to factory setting newer computer just let you do it if not just call up the computer company and they will charge you for the restore disks ( it was $20 when I had to do it). You best bet when you have your computer running again is you buy an external and set it to back your stuff up every day and then make set up 2 user accounts if you going to let your mom use it.

From what i hear they said they did in nearly fml, but it was removed when brought over to this section. That’s why people keep mentioning it

I’m with Mom, she shouldn’t admit to downloading a virus. She downloaded something that appeared harmless that contained a virus unbeknownst to her. Besides, the computer does not need to be replaced.

Of course she didn't go "Hey let's go download a virus!" but if you're causing harm or damage, you have to take responsibility. Of course the computer won't have to be replaced and will most likely be perfectly fine after a format and reinstall but admitting mistakes and paying if op can't do it himself is the least thing she should do. Even if she hadn't taken it without permission.

I’d agree that she should pay for a repair. It’s difficult to get your mother to feel a sense of obligation. She can always pull out the “I pushed you out my ****** and fed you from my ****” card.

Is a blue screen of death usually from a virus? It seems to suggest some other kind of failure.

Lobby_Bee 17

Who told you, you need to replace the whole computer for a virus? Or you trying to hustle your mom into getting you a new one?

blue screen could mean alot of things could be a hardware or software problem, try removing the hdd or ssd, hooking it up to a desktop or laptop and formatting the drive then installing windows, or disconnect the hdd/ssd in the computer and boot it with a usb drive that has linux on it. The computer may be fixable, altho if she dropped it or spilled water on it it would be another story. experience:i'm currently typing this on my custom rig that has 3X 55" 4K flatscreens if you need help feel free to msg me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009148456302

Really what we need to know is what the BSOD error message was.

if i didn't know how to build and fix computers i wouldn't be using a $10 000 rig.

onceuponatime456 16

Please explain why you think you need a new computer!